Which on should I buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 19, 2011
Beneteau 343 L'anse St-Jean
I'm looking to buy a used Bavaria between 34' and 39'. My question is: is it better to buy a longer but older (2000-2003) or shorter but younger (2004-2008).

I should appreciate comment from owners of different lenghts.

Thanks you from you reply!

Nov 28, 2009
Catalina 30 St. Croix
With the larger model you can go offshore without the worries that a smaller vessel might not be up to it. The longer, the more forgiving and restful you'll be. Not much diferent in price and it is still under 40'. Most Marinas charge more from 40'on up. A well maintained 39 footer is better than a so so 34 footer. Like Joe said. Condition and equipment. Maintenance logs would be nice. The larger yacht probably already has most of the items in your wish list.

Jun 19, 2010
2003 Bavaria 44 Chesapeake Bay
IMHO - it depends on you.

Are you the type of person that values fit and finish and want the shinniest newest boat? if so you are likely to continue to cycle through boats so then smaller and cheaper is better to keep transaction costs lower etc.

If you are buying for the long run....then I would get the biggest boat you can - particularly if you think you might ultimately want to end up in that size eventually. the taxes/broker fees etc of "trading up" from 34 to 39 will more than cover any price difference - do the math.

We got a bavaria 44 (which is really a 46 - i guess Germans cant measure?) as our second boat from a hunter 30 skipping that next size of 36 all together. Best decision we made.

2002/2003 vintage is going to have issues - no replacement parts from bavaria on fit items (trust me i know), Rutgerson ports (not great) that you cannot order screens for, gellcoat not going to be as pretty etc. We had lots of little issues, which at the time frusterated me but in hindsight the little issues were invaluable because i basicly know the boat inside and out.

All that said - you should also look at beneteaus of that vintage...might be a bit more expensive but replacement parts might be more available and they have two features which are better than bavarias of same vintage: Axial drive (i think) and no teak on the toe rail on the deck.

With the larger model you can go offshore without the worries that a smaller vessel might not be up to it. The longer, the more forgiving and restful you'll be. Not much diferent in price and it is still under 40'. Most Marinas charge more from 40'on up. A well maintained 39 footer is better than a so so 34 footer. Like Joe said. Condition and equipment. Maintenance logs would be nice. The larger yacht probably already has most of the items in your wish list.

Nov 28, 2009
Catalina 30 St. Croix
I went from a new 1987 Hunter Legend 35 that was more than I could afford back then to a very tired 1986 Beneteau Idylle 15.5 (51') in 1998. My wife and I lived on that boat for 12 years. We made alist of what it needed, bought evreything, sailed to Venezuela and made a beautiful boat that we just sold last week. Bought a condo in St. Croix. We knew everything about the boat. Except for the hull and mast almost all is new. Buy the biggest you can afford 2-3 years from now. Somehow you'll come up with the money. The larger boat will expand your horizons. Shop smart and there will be very little difference in the price of the boat and the equipment.

Nov 28, 2009
Catalina 30 St. Croix
bviyachtsales.com sold our boat and I know that they have a pending deal on a 2001 Bavaria 42 with an asking price of 99K. The boat named Full Monty has everything including dinghy, etc. There is also a Bavaria broker at nanny Cay in Tortola that has a Bavaria yachts charter fleet. They might have some boats available.

narese

Oct 20, 2011
Bavaria Bavaria 44 Porto Turistico di Roma, Ostia (Italy)
Serena & I sold our Contessa 32 after 18 years. We waited 3 years before buying a new boat. Decided eventually for a Bavaria 44. It was a big step and at the beginning we where afraid we had gone to big! Almost 8 years have elapsed from the date we stepped on our new big boat. It was the best choice we could have done. Our suggestion: go as big as you can afford. Berthing will be more expensive. Also mantainence will cost more. You will have however a more livable boat that will give you bigger satisfaction not only when you are tide up, but specially when you are offshore.

Nov 8, 2011
Hello,
I have a Bavaria 40 from 2001. She sails great, has a fast hull, powerfull 49 hp engine, High tech sails and all the extras fully complying with all stafety standards. However looking at todays prices I would go for à new boat in the 40 foot range, do some good negotiation on the extras, and cut my losses, because loose we will. Why 40 feet? Simply because it gives power, safety, manuverability and comfort in one.
Good luck with your new boat.

Dec 7, 2011
Bavaria Bavaria 36 Midland Ontario
Are you still looking?

Forgive my late entry to the "debate" but I'm a newbee to this forum site. For what it's worth we have a Bavaria 36, a 2005 model and couldn't be happier with it. Not so big that waxing and maintenance take over our time but big enough to be comfortable for two with guests now and then. We are still just freshwater sailors but hope to head south (Florida) soon. Wouldn't think twice about trusting this boat in the big blue!

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
Forgive my late entry to the "debate" but I'm a newbee to this forum site. For what it's worth we have a Bavaria 36, a 2005 model and couldn't be happier with it. Not so big that waxing and maintenance take over our time but big enough to be comfortable for two with guests now and then. We are still just freshwater sailors but hope to head south (Florida) soon. Wouldn't think twice about trusting this boat in the big blue!

Welcome to the forum. We're right next door at BayMoorings.

Feb 5, 2012
Baveria Baveria 38 Gillingham
I'm looking to buy a used Bavaria between 34' and 39'. My question is: is it better to buy a longer but older (2000-2003) or shorter but younger (2004-2008).

I should appreciate comment from owners of different lenghts.

Thanks you from you reply!
I am just in the process of buying a Baveria 38 it was a toss up between a 36 and a 38 but I spoke to two people who, one of whom knew a man who worked at Baveria's factory, the opinion was that the 38 the best boat they produced. My one is a 2003 model with the 55hp volvo engine.
Good luck in your search.
Stevem

Jun 19, 2010
you might think about new

manufacturers and dealers are really struggling (all of them). I might find a dealer with a boat that has been on the lot a while and negotiate hard. you might be surprised what you can get.

might try it at a boat show.

njsail

Feb 18, 2010
Bavaria Ocean 40 CC Forked River
If you are in the market to buy a bigger boat the world is your oyster right now. Negotiate hard and look at many. New and used. You might be pleasantly surprised what deals you can find but you will have to work to find them. you might find brand new boats a few years old that haven't sold yet. Good luck and enjoy the process. Falling in love is in your future.

I agree with Duncanhoo about the Bav model years. I have a 2001 and the Rutgerson hatches were such a nuisance I replaced them all with new Lewmar Ocean hatches. The Rutgerson opening ports (not their cr@ppy hatches) are actually very high quality but you can not get any service from them. I've written to them in 3 different languages and tried to contact them in other ways too. They don't care for your business and would just assume you go away. The new Bav dealer in the US has been very helpful. Bavaria's are easy to work on and everything seems to have decent access. many boats have beautiful hand laid floors and such but when the time comes to replace something you're in a world of hurt and on the hook for some big $$$ costs.

Good luck in your quest. Keep asking questions and looking at all your options. Hopefully you'll be keeping this boat a long long time. We bought ours to live aboard and I couldn't be happier.

Jun 19, 2010
how much did that hatch replacment cost?

If you are in the market to buy a bigger boat the world is your oyster right now. Negotiate hard and look at many. New and used. You might be pleasantly surprised what deals you can find but you will have to work to find them. you might find brand new boats a few years old that haven't sold yet. Good luck and enjoy the process. Falling in love is in your future.

I agree with Duncanhoo about the Bav model years. I have a 2001 and the Rutgerson hatches were such a nuisance I replaced them all with new Lewmar Ocean hatches. The Rutgerson opening ports (not their cr@ppy hatches) are actually very high quality but you can not get any service from them. I've written to them in 3 different languages and tried to contact them in other ways too. They don't care for your business and would just assume you go away. The new Bav dealer in the US has been very helpful. Bavaria's are easy to work on and everything seems to have decent access. many boats have beautiful hand laid floors and such but when the time comes to replace something you're in a world of hurt and on the hook for some big $$$ costs.

Good luck in your quest. Keep asking questions and looking at all your options. Hopefully you'll be keeping this boat a long long time. We bought ours to live aboard and I couldn't be happier.

njsail

Feb 18, 2010
Bavaria Ocean 40 CC Forked River
The Lewmar 60 Ocean hatches with flange were about $500-550 (I don't remember the exact cost). I bought a pair of custom butterfly hatches from Bavaria which they sold me the wrong size. Nobody had the knowledge the 2001 Ocean 40 changed the size of the side butterfly hatch cutouts when they switched from Rutgerson to Lewmar. Those were about $1200 - I'm currently selling those at a discount. The lewmar 60's fit perfect in the cutout for the old Rutgersons. You also need to replace the inner trim ring + screens. Unfortunately they don't fit the bottom of the lewmars.

I decided the cost of the hatches was worth it after I had to replace all the cushions on the boat due to water damage due to all the leaks courtesy of the Rutgerson hatches. Now we're water tight from above and happy as could be. What I don't understand is Rutgerson hatches are made of individual parts that are really high quality, durable and heavy gauge. It must be the way the acrylic sits in the stainless frame. All 3 had the same problem.

If anyone wants to purchase some Rutgerson trim rings in good condition let me know. I also have a Gebo hatch (same size as the lewmar 60). Which is still in good shape minus one of the external handles.

Status
Not open for further replies.