Swing Keel Pivot Bolt and Insert Corrosion - Disaster Averted

VFR750

Oct 18, 2021
Catalina 22 Sport Noank
I just removed the threaded inserts from my 2008 Sport. Saltwater & galvanic corrosion has eaten away most of the threads. All four were about to fail.

I bought the boat in 2020, and sailed it last Summer. This winter was time to do the keel pivot bolt replacement. After I removed the bolts i saw a lot of rust. So this was not good.
I just finished cutting the inside of the hull and removed the inserts. They look awful. So glad i am doing this.

Knowing this was a possibility i previously had bought (4) new inserts and bolts, and this is a good comparison of new verses too old.

Judging from the lack of bottom paint on the hidden portion of the swing keel, the PO never took the keel off.
VDNN5234.JPG

• Wow
Feb 28, 2022
Catalina 22 12482 Champaign-Urbana, IL
I'm hoping when I take mine out to the marina for the first time this season I can have them hoist it up so I can inspect the keel. I honestly don't really know what to look for without taking it apart, though I've read several of these and watched Jim's Little Boat's video on how he removed his. With mine on the trailer I can't really inspect anything so I'm sailing blindly unless I can get it up and drop the keel down.

VFR750

Oct 18, 2021
Catalina 22 Sport Noank
I removed my keel with the boat on the trailer. It is not that hard. You only need to lower it so that you can get the pin out. The other end is still sitting on the trailer "V". Note the total lack of bottom paint, and the resulting growth. The trough is filled with stuff.

You will need a cradle, and a means to lift the cradle. I used a ATV lift, rated at 1500lbs.
cradle.jpg

When I first removed the bolts, I was very surprised at how easy they turned <-- not what you should expect.

I decided to remove the pivots, and when I did I found a lot of rust on the hull, under the pivots. this is the Iron remnants of your stainless steel inserts.
rust.jpg

You can see how why the bolt came out easily, the threads ripped out of the insert.

Grinding out the fiberglass to reach the inserts. Thankfully the 22 Sport already has seperate floor panels to get to these inserts.
removal.jpg

The shiny surface is the top of the insert. It is shiny because the belt sander removed the rust from the top surface.

To start the process, I drilled upwards, through the threaded portion, through the insert backing, and up through the fiberglass. You can see the holes inthe trunk. This way, I coud see where the insert was, before I started the remove the fiberglass. This process will take 3-4 hours to get all four inserts out.

Feb 28, 2022
Here's the best picture I have of mine right now. I doubt this has been touched in years.

B870D926-D55A-44D3-8DB0-2224B394E510.JPG

Maybe I'll get the CD keel refinishing DVD set and get myself oriented with that whole process.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Wow, those weldments were in TERRIBLE shape! :yikes:

I faced a similar problem with our first C22. Three out of four bolts had broken off in the weldments. The PO drilled through two of the weldments and inserted (non stainless) threaded rod all the way through into the cabin. He secured the rod with two (non stainless) nuts, and dabbed a little clear silicone on it to seal the whole abortion.
262mmaf.jpg

zmfknd.jpg

AaronD

Aug 10, 2014
Catalina 22 9874 Newberg, OR / Olympia, WA
Oh no - seriously?!? I am not sure what the right way is supposed to look like
The hangers originally sit such that the circled "bulges" (technical term) recess into the hull and sit flush. Yours are flipped upside down, so the keel hangs an inch or two lower. Consensus from earlier discussions is that it probably doesn't really matter.

1648134125649.png

Feb 28, 2022
Ah okay that’s good to know and good to hear it isn’t a dealbreaker. I’ll still feel better once I’ve taken it apart so I know how it works.