1987 Cat 22Teak Refinishing

Feb 20, 2016
Catalina 22 Palm Harbor
I have a 1987 Catalina 22 with Teak issues inherited from the previous owner where 75% of the Varnish has peeled off. I keep sanding the bear wood and treat with Teak Oil and of course it is not a lasting fix. Besides still having a plastic chip pock mark look everywhere is not acceptable either.

I do not want to varnish the teak once I am finished removing all the varnish. To me, the glossy plastic look is just not what I am looking for.

Is there another product like a "Teak Sealer" that will allow more time between oiling once it starts turning gray? Not opposed to oiling Teak versus this Varnish Shinny Look that does not hold up to anything other than removing the Teak and refinishing more often that I want to contribute time to..............

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
........I am finished removing all the varnish. To me, the glossy plastic look is just not what I am looking for. Is there another product like a "Teak Sealer"...........
Agree with your first comment. As to your question......Semco Teak Wood Natural Finish Sealant Protector Sealer Amazon.com : Semco Teak Sealer, 1 Quart, Natural : Boating Equipment : Sports & Outdoors. Easy to apply, dries quicky and does not turn yellow or bleeds and stains if covered with canvas after a rain or in humidity AND looks natural. Lots of sailboats, even expensive ones, in my marina use that sealer on their teak decks, rails, seats, etc. Last summer I sanded all the varnish off my powerboat's teak rail, door and closet trim, and there was a lot of it, then applied 2 coats of Semco.......nearly 1 gallon of coverage.

Attachments

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
I use Semco on teak seating surfaces in cockpit. Provides easy application & non slip surface. Clean teak with your favorite cleaner, sand if necessary, and apply 2-3 coats. Just understand that it will need to be recoated (without prep) 2-4 times a year in Southern climate with year round sun exposure. I use cetol gloss on cabin hand rails. Usually holds up well for 4 years.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Agree with your first comment. As to your question......Semco Teak Wood Natural Finish Sealant Protector Sealer Amazon.com : Semco Teak Sealer, 1 Quart, Natural : Boating Equipment : Sports & Outdoors. Easy to apply, dries quicky and does not turn yellow or bleeds and stains if covered with canvas after a rain or in humidity AND looks great!! Lots of sailboats, even expensive ones, in my marina use that sealer for teak decks, rails, seats, etc. Last summer I sanded all the varnish off my powerboat's teak rail, door and closet trim, and there was a lot of it, then applied 2 coats of Semco.

My boat came with Cetol on all the teak, so I stayed with Cetol. It works well enough and is stupid easy to apply. But I have to say that pic looks really great. If I were starting over from bare wood, I'd have to seriously consider that.