Determining Trailrite C22 1982 VIN

Jul 15, 2021
Catalina 22 Utica
I'm trying to determine my trailers original VIN, it is a TrailRite 1982 model none galvanized/white made for the C22 swing keel. It appears that trailrite used some short hand label which shows 1TO-<serial>, I'm curious if others with these trailers have a separate VIN tag or if you've had to go about requesting a new VIN for titling purposes? I've used this site cmvid.nisrinc.com - /CMV_ID/ /CMV_ID.asp to estimate what a valid VIN would look like based on what I think is the correct GVWR of 3600. It might be something like 1TO003600_CS<serial>, I'd be curious to know what others digits/letters are for the portion in bold. Please don't respond with your full VIN as the serial number portal should remain private.

The Indiana BMV told me there is no way this wasn't titled before or had a VIN... yet it is optional in some states I believe.

Jul 15, 2021
Catalina 22 Utica
Thanks for the reply and welcome. My understanding is trail rite America has gone out of business. That link is for a different company in South Africa.

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
BMV is wrong, example Florida, no titles for trailer under 2000 lbs. New ones need to have it weighed at a weight station and documented. And bill of sale is sufficient for registration to new person on sale too.

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
@mechjagger Often the VIN (if there is one) is etched in the tongue portion of the trailer. Since yours is painted it may be gone under years of paint. If I remember correctly many years ago I had a trail rite trailer for a sailboat and had a the same problem in California. After arguing back and forth for a bit with the DMV I eventually made an appointment, brought the whole trailer to the DMV, let them inspect as I could not find a number, had a supervisor look at the trailer and then had them rerigester it as a "home Built" trailer. Now days if they give me the run around I don't even try. I claim it's a home built for the weight of the axel's and they get their registration $$ (which is all they want anyway). You may have to try that route. Serial numbers generally only help if the company is still around and you need parts.

Jul 13, 2015
Catalina 22 #2552 2252 Kennewick, WA
Same in WA — I did find what the state patrol believes is a serial # — but they are only checking for stolen goods. Gave it a plate and took my money gleefully:

BA79FEB0-A20C-44B2-AC52-8B9FD2F7248F.jpeg
0413A7CB-6673-4F42-B904-915454CDC4D9.jpeg

Jul 15, 2021
Catalina 22 Utica
Thanks, after much digging I realized requesting a new vin would be best. The serial number format they used was vintage and phased out in the early 80s for the now standard vin pattern. Local BMV didn’t know how to handle but I found a packet of info from the state on how to request one. For Indiana this requires a bit of proof, an affidavit and $10. I’ll spend more on purchasing a new label. Thanks everyone.

Jul 25, 2021
Catalina C22 12360 Lake Mendota
I have a similar problem with a trailer for 1984 C22 (seller had lost title) and am wondering whether Catalina Co kept records of boat and trailer numbers sold as a package? Does the Company even respond to owners' questions on such an old boat?

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
I have a similar problem with a trailer for 1984 C22 (seller had lost title) and am wondering whether Catalina Co kept records of boat and trailer numbers sold as a package? Does the Company even respond to owners' questions on such an old boat?
Yes you can call the factory and they will take questions regarding an older boat. I actually have found them quite helpful in the past. You can also email them. That said likely they have no records of trailers and boats as they changed vendors through the years and no one knows if your trailer is original or not. In your shoes I would skip all the hassle of contacting Catalina and follow the advice above for requesting a new Vin for your trailer.