Cockpit pocket covers, or drains, or ... ?

AaronD

Aug 10, 2014
Catalina 22 9874 Newberg, OR / Olympia, WA
A couple seasons ago, I sealed my leaking cockpit pockets. I'm happy with that result - the pipe berth and coffin stay dry now. But, now that means that in a real rain, the pockets fill up with water. The first few times, I just sponged out the pockets happily. But a few weeks ago, I arrived back at the boat to find that I'd left the salt, spices, and pepper grinder in a pocket. They were of course floating in a pool. Well, now I need to think of a solution - what good is a cruise if you can't pepper your morning fried eggs? :banghead:

So, what do all you wise C-22 owners do? A couple ideas:
--Add snaps and Sunbrella covers
--Drill a hole from the pocket into the cockpit (angled downward) and glue in a little fiberglass tube as a drain (think of a soda straw, but FRP so it can be epoxied)

I'd guess this has been answered somewhere, but any search including the terms C-22, cockpit, and drain leads to an entirely different topic.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Our pockets have little drain holes. They appear to have been done at the factory. No little tubes though, what would be the reason for those?

I'm only halfway through my first cup of coffee. ;)

AaronD

Aug 10, 2014
Our pockets have little drain holes. They appear to have been done at the factory. No little tubes though, what would be the reason for those?

I'm only halfway through my first cup of coffee. ;)
Thanks Gene. And good question; it looked to me like the pocket is curved such that the low point doesn't really contact the coaming - I.e., the pocket floor bends upward slightly, so a drain right at the contact point would leave a puddle. It's hard to be sure without drilling a hole first... If so, drilling right at the low point would drain into the boat, so I thought of connecting with a ~1" tube.

(and I haven't made my first cup of coffee yet, so I might be over-thinking, under-thinking, or just not thinking at all :what:)

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Here's what we've got, FWIW. Port side. This is the first time I have ever seen the inside view myself!

It definitely holds an ounce or two of water in there - at least I HOPE it does! - but it's never been an issue. Maybe I should epoxy-caulk it, just to be sure.

IMG_2189.JPG

IMG_2190.JPG

• Helpful
Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
Yep mine like just like that, a little water stays in but hot weather drys it out.

AaronD

Aug 10, 2014
Thanks @Gene Neill and @Jacktar. If that's working for you, I'll do the same. Out comes the drill... (But I'll still try to remember to put the spices back in the cabin before a rainstorm :facepalm:)