A coupla questions about my Cat 22

Nov 20, 2014
Catalina 22 San Bernard River
I have an 83 Catalina 22. When I went down to sail last weekend I noticed the tiller and rudder were missing. There had been some very heavy wave action. Does anyone know if the rudder would float? Mine is (was) very heavy and I would guess it would not. Secondly, if I cant find it on the bottom of the lake, does anyone know where to buy a replacement?

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
Your best bet is RudderCraft, they make standard rudders as well as Kick-Up... If you are forced to replace, I think all here would recommend going with the kick-up.
Keep searching the bottom if you can... hate to see you have to empty your wallet when that rudder may be perfectly intact somewhere.

I have an 83 Catalina 22. When I went down to sail last weekend I noticed the tiller and rudder were missing. There had been some very heavy wave action. Does anyone know if the rudder would float? Mine is (was) very heavy and I would guess it would not. Secondly, if I cant find it on the bottom of the lake, does anyone know where to buy a replacement?

Mar 26, 2012
Catalina 22 Pflugerville
If it was a kick up factory rudder, I'm pretty sure it isn't going to float. If you're a racer, you'll need to replace your rudder (provided you can't find yours) with either a new factory model, available from Catalina Direct, or with a used one from somebody parting a boat out.

If you have no intentions of racing, then go for the Ruddercraft model! Those things look sweet, and all those who have gone that route tend to sing their praises!

Nov 19, 2008
Catalina C-22 MK-II Parrish, FL
The factory kick-up rudder has a little stainless steel spring tang that prevents it from coming off the boat, however, over time, and misunderstanding what these things are, they get bent and non-functional. Hopefully your rudder will be in the mud behind the boat. Maybe your boat insurance can help? As already mentioned, if you intend to race in a sanctioned C-22 race, only factory rudders are allowed IAW our C-22 racing rules. I've raced PHRF, and declared my Rudder-Craft rudder, and they didn't care. HUGE improvement in the boat handling with a Rudder-Craft style. "If" you have to get a new rudder, this would be a good time to also upgrade your rudder hardware to the 1/2" pintles and gudgeons,(1983 is probably still 3/8").

Hopefully the rudder is sitting under your boat waiting to be recovered, good luck and keep us informed.

Don

Feb 9, 2008
Catalina 22 Long Beach Harbor, MS
My '78 didn't. bumped off past the tang right at dark at Cat Island one evening. Walked in a fan pattern behind the boat in ever increasing distances until I felt it with my feet. Not good.

kito

Sep 13, 2012
1979 Hunter Cherubini 30 Clemmons
I always took mine off and stored it in the cabin. It's a high dollar item to replace if it comes off or gets ripped off. Maybe attach a lanyard to it next go round. It's a good idea even while sailing.

Mar 11, 2015
Catalina 22 Oceanside CA
I'm thinking about investing in a Ruddercraft kick up rudder for my 1988 Cat 22. Anyone know of the weight difference compared to the original. The original is a friggin log!!
Also, is the performance that much better to warrant the expense and trouble?
Thanks
Steve

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
A new Ruddercraft conversion is easily a thousand bucks all told. No, I don't think the performance alone is worth that much money. But there are more upsides than just performance.

It is a lot lighter. It can stay on the boat when trailering. At anchor (or at the ramp), you can just yank the cord, and the blade springs up like magic and parks itself vertically out of the water. Give it a shove, and it drops back down, ready to sail. No shear pin required! And the HDPE blade can handle banging the bottom repeatedly, with no fairing and re-gel coating required ever again. A few strokes with a magic eraser keeps it gleaming white.

I have a couple minor gripes with it, but very happy overall.

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
Wow here is a blast from the past thread! I just wanted to add one note about Rudder Craft. The C22 National association is currently working with Rudder Craft to produce a class legal replacement rudder. It should be out in a few months according to the latest issue of Main Brace so you may just want to hold off for a bit and get one that is class legal. You never know if that racing bug may hit in the future.