DIY galley alternatives

Apr 6, 2013
Catalina 310 Annapolis
I have a '77 C-22. I am not finding much use for the sliding galley, at least not enough to compensate for all the space it takes up. I am thinking of making something much smaller to hold a small alcohol stove and a washtub that I would add a spline on the bottom to put in the slot the current galley slides along to keep it steady. I recall seeing mention here that others have built there own galleys. Does anyone have any pictures or plans they could point me to? Thanks!

Dec 11, 2010
MacGregor 26x Hayden AL
I took mine out and sold it to another member here. I bought a rail mount grill. I dont sail if its raining and if I do, we'll eat sandwiches. Then I bought a new design that didn't have the stove, bought another rail mount.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
IIRC, there are a handful of "Wow, Catalina 22 websites" often hosted/written by owners, as well as the association website.

We liked our galley, with the curtain burner and small water tank. We did the dishes in a bucket in the cockpit, and grilled on a charcoal (gasp!) Hibtachi!!! We just slid it back when we were done. I always thought it was a great dual purpose design. OTOH, lotsa skippers hated the darned thing and ditched it.

We also built the plywood extender to make the dinette a full sized sleeping area and never had to use the V berth.

1981 boat, #10496

Great boats.

Your boat, your choice. :)

Enjoy.

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
All equipment discussions aside (because that just costs me more money), my solution remains the same at sea as it is at home;

Recite these words when you are famished,
"Woman, git yo ass in kitchen and me make a sammich!"

Last edited:

Sailm8

Feb 21, 2008
Hunter 29.5 Punta Gorda
All equipment discussions aside (because that just costs me more money), my solution remains the same at sea as it is at home;

Recite these words when you are famished,
"Woman, git yo ass in kitchen and make a sammich!"
So you single hand a lot?

jmczzz

Mar 31, 2013
O'Day 26 CB New Orleans
I recently bought a used stock "sliding galley". (Didn’t catch one of the throw aways I keep hearing about). Seems like a good idea to me and I like it. The only problem is the Kenyon 126 stove it came with has been unused for so long all the seals are dry and the tank, pipes etc. look pretty likely to be stopped up with corrosion. I decided to not try to resurrect it after looking for parts and rebuild info. Now I'm using a one burner camp stove but only cook coffee. So I am thinking about simple alcohol burner alternatives that will fit that space and are to my liking. I do have a rail mount grill, only uses charcoal. Another complaint I heard is the ice box doesn't keep ice very long. I am adding spray foam around it from holes drilled in the bottom. But don't expect a miracle; after all it is not designed to be an "ice hole". We like most also use a chest cooler. The water tank is small and just handy for a little rinse water for the coffee cups. But then, I do not expect a 22 ft boat to be a yacht nor do I need a lot of fluff in a boat. I'm a minimalist, and so goes my boat. My Filipina mate is small and comes from an island family that uses outrigger canoes to fish the South China Sea, so she's happy we have a porta potty.
My point is, it’s best to not to bring a suburbia attitude to a sail boat.
In a C22 for real, “Less is more".
James

Apr 26, 2010
catalina 22 lake tillery NC
Funny, I just took mine out, probably will never use it. Good storage space for sails etc.

Sep 8, 2014
In all seriousness, with the limited food prep space and equipment on a C22, if I can't grill on the stern rail, make it with boiling water, or just take it out of a cooler then it is a dish I can wait to enjoy somewhere ashore. Really, there many good meals you can make with just those three methods.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
There is a lot of truth in that, but in the area of breakfast (the most important meal of the day, they tell me), I must humbly disagree with you, Mr. Diver. The Admiral can cook up a breakfast platter over the Origo stove that will make you want to sail all the way home just to slap your mama. Give up my bacon and eggs? My sausage? My hash browns, my French toast?? Are you MAD??

Next thing you know, you'll be telling me I don't need a Bloody Mary to set me straight when breakfast is over!! :eek:

jmczzz

Mar 31, 2013
O'Day 26 CB New Orleans
I'm with Gene, Had an Origo 2 burner alchohol stove on 2 different boats before. To me that is the best option for a boat stove. I cooked just about anything you can think of on them. I will get one for this C22 also. ASAP.
Piper, another "just got rid of a sliding galley". Where were all of them when I was searching for one?
James

kito

Sep 13, 2012
1979 Hunter Cherubini 30 Clemmons
I just bungee a portable butane stove to the table if I have to cook inside. Just keep the top and door open. Butane is heavier than air though but the circulation helps. I don't see a need for a sink. A large Tupperware container and a jug of water is all that's needed.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
I just bungee a portable butane stove to the table if I have to cook inside.
That idea sounds pretty hard to beat! Plenty of prep area around the stove, relatively ergonomic to use, and no extra weight or volume added to the boat!

We have a sink, and it's nice to have, but if it weren't there I doubt I'd bother to install one. Most of the dish washing gets done in the cockpit, in a collapsible bucket (which was a wonderful acquisition BTW, I LOVE that thing).

jmczzz

Mar 31, 2013
O'Day 26 CB New Orleans
Kito, that cherubini is a nice boat, I have a Hunter 30 in my history. I know you are right about the propane but dog gone it I'm set in my ways. I spend long times on my boat those little propane bottles bug me clanking around and getting rusty. Not being easily refillable and non desposible. But it sounds like you have it down pretty good though. Thats kinda what i'm doing now untill I can spring for an alchohol stove. Oh and I use the sink to brush what teeth I have left, lol.
Regards, James

Sep 8, 2014
Just a thought when considering galley equipment, and hopefully less expensive alternatives to anything marked "marine"...
Most of my experience (outside of the Navy) doing this type of cooking is more along the lines of Wilderness trekking and Mountaineering. Notice I did not say 'camping'... camping is for kids.
Anyway, the stoves we use for that come from the outdoor gear stores like Eastern Mountain Sorts and REI. The last MSR stove I had was a multi-fuel unit that would lite up even in strong winds. These things are tiny and fold up and pack into a pouch. The fuel bottles come in various sizes up to 1 liter. I actually still have 2 of the 1 liter fuel bottles and use them as pony tanks, I carry them in a back pack on my chopper (the chopper has no fuel gauge and a very small reserve, 1 liter can get me another 10 miles down the road).
Anyway... check out the stoves on REI.com, plus they have plenty of other food prep related stuff that is high quality, durable, etc. This is not cheap 'Coleman' camping gear!

Apr 26, 2010
catalina 22 lake tillery NC
Jmczzz, I didn't get rid of my galley just removed it. not looking to sell it either, just don't see use for it now..

Apr 1, 2010
Cal 33 and Sea Pearl 21 . Crystal River, FL
mine is just sitting in my tarp garage next to the tractor. i like the idea but people with far more experience than me tell me that its useless and a waste of space. maybe one day i will try it just to see...

Kestle

Jun 12, 2011
MacGregor 25 San Pedro
I have an MSR and would never use it on a boat. One, it is loud as hell. Second, a fuel leak is just not worth the risk, especially if it gets into the bilge and gives you headaches too.

I have an Origo 3000 bolted down (non-gimballed) and it works great. You don't need gimbals if you use pots with high sides, and their clips to keep them on the stove.

Jeff