Work in the Bahamas

• Thread starter The Lousianna Purchase
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

The Lousianna Purchase

I am planing a year long vacation in and around the Bahamas. I'm not rich and will need to earn some additional freedom chips along the way. I have been told to work in the Bahamas I will need a permit and to find a job no bahamian is qualified or willing to do. In my mind this means I will not be able to find work. Do you have any experience in this area.

K

KennyH

spent two years in Bahamas

You are right in that you will find it impossible to work in the Bahamas. It is even difficult if not impossible to even trade items from boater to boater. I did meet one school teacher who was working but my guess is they could not get a Bahamas school teacher. Good luck!

B

Benny

Start a business.

Become an entrepenour. Figure out what you can do and start a business doing that; you will need a local partner to front for you. My wife's cousin and his local partner harvested lobster for years selling to local markets and exporters.

Sep 9, 2005
- - St Joseph, MI
Sailed there 3 times

Prior advise all good. If you have a trade skill, you may find opportunities in the out islands, less likely on Grand Bahama and New Providence. The latter are tourist traps and a good places to get robbed. Some of the out islands are at odds politically with the government, which loads them with an abundance of bureaucrats to keep them in line. They do have lots of rules to follow. The good thing is you are only 2-3 days sail from sunny Florida if you need to get some scratch. Good Luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.