Wood Refinishing

hornjb

May 3, 2024
O'Day Mariner 2+2 Durango
Hi All,
Working on my newly acquired 1970 (I think..No. 2019) Mariner 2+2. I looked at threads on wood finishing but still have questions. See Pic of what I believe is mahogony weatherboard and teak rails. Not sure though. Anyway I am considering Epifanes varnish, but wondering if there is a desirable stain color that can help bring out the natural tones after I sand to 220.

Other questions I have regarding the boat are:
1. did not come with mast support. does not look like it ever had one. is this normal?
2. No hull drain that I can find. just two plugs for outside deck drain. is this normal?

Thanks, Jim in Durango, Colorado

Attachments

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
If you are talking about the cockpit coaming, and the handrails, they would make that boat look really sharp, if varnished. However, doing varnish correctly is all about preparation of the wood and patience.
The picture below is 2 coats of wood sealer on wood with the raised grain sanded off several times and sanded down to at least 600 grit paper. Then a few coats of varnish thinned to lessening degrees until it is time for at least 6 coats of full strength varnish, sanded between coats.
There is no more beautiful way to finish wood, IMO. One can lose themselves looking into a well varnished piece of wood.
We have had poor results with Epifanes varnish, but many others have not, so if you are using Epifanes varnish you may have to use another application process? Of all the varnishes I've used over the last 6 decades, I prefer Captain's Varnish.
Reflection Finish.JPG

hornjb

May 3, 2024
That is a very beautiful finish. I will check out "Captian's). Railing restoration is paramount! So not stainging railing, but plywood. Nice plywood is the way to go when I get there $. right now sanding any plywood and thinking a light stain on plywood to make it look good for the next year or so.

hornjb

May 3, 2024
Last reply is very confusing, I am sorry.
Railing plan is to sand railings and apply varnish. Looks like wood will sand out to a nice color.
Weatherboard/mahogany ply will be replaced eventually.Would be nice to stain existing wood now if this if it helps match railing wood.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Hand rails are typically teak. Minwax used to make a teak stain.

Over the years I've used a number of different brands of varnish. I just tried TotalBoat Lust thinned 50% with their thinner and am impressed. Redcoat in about an hour, so building up the coats is quick. As @capta suggests, a couple of sealer coats first and then multiple coats of varnish.

hornjb

May 3, 2024
Thank you for the information. I will look at that brand as well. Cheers, Jim

pgandw

Oct 14, 2023
Stuart (ODay) Mariner 19 Yeopim Creek
Most Mariners came with (or have made) mast supports that fit on the rudder gudgeons and the mast tabernacle. The aft mast support needs to hold the mast high enough that it clears the main hatch when the mast butt is engaged in the tabernacle. The tabernacle mounted support needs to be tall enough to keep the mast butt off the deck (mine is about 6" tall) and clear of any other obstacles.

I have an add-on removable trailer roller to fit the rear mast crutch. This allows the mast to be even higher in the rear which makes mast raising easier. The roller allows me to easily slide the mast back so that the pin slides into the tabernacle slots for raising.

My boat does not have a hull drain. The cockpit is self bailing with drains at the forward end of the cockpit. Any water inside the hull gathers at the low spot at the forward end of the centerboard trunk, where I sponge and bucket the water into the cockpit.

The boat looks beautiful in the photos. I recommend joining the Mariner Class Association for help and tips on maintaining and improving your Mariner (Mariner Class Association).

Fred W
Stuart Mariner #4133 Sweet P

hornjb

May 3, 2024
Fred,
Thank you for this information! It will help me a lot.

1. I will check to ensure deck clearance for tabernacle. I like the roller crutch idea to get a higher angle to raise mast. Do you have a pic of yours? My mast is a Dwyer with a single pin type tabernacle. see photo.
2. photo also shows minor damage to mast, and cleat. will have to finagle a solution to this.
3. Also, I do not have a mast support post in the cabin, and there is no evidence of there being one. I'm a bit concerned but perhaps overreacting.

There are quite a few other loose ends I need to resolve with the mast before attaching stays/shrouds and raising the mast. one step at a time. I am healing from back surgery, so I am taking it easy and spending time learning about the rigging of this craft.

Best, Jim

Attachments

pgandw

Oct 14, 2023
Stuart (ODay) Mariner 19 Yeopim Creek
The early Mariners did not have a mast post. They had what is called a "cabin arch" to support the mast. I would check the condition of your arch very carefully - the wood in the arch may or may not be in great shape.

I am totally blown away by the apparent good condition of the gel coat on the hull.

Pics: Roller top attaches to transom mast crutch with 2 bolts and wing nuts for mast raising. I do not use roller while trailering - I've already had mast bounce out of crutch on rough road in NYC (at rush hour of course). 3rd pic shows trailering arrangement of mast and boom - done by previous owner. Pic is arriving home in North Carolina. Both PO and I have had gooseneck fall apart while trailering. I switched to a 1/4" bolt with lock nut instead of pin and ring to avoid further occurrence.
20231015_171919[1].jpg
20231015_170852[1].jpg
20220327_arrival.jpg

Highly recommend the $15 for the Mariner Class Association membership. Those guys really know Mariners, and can answer your questions much better than I. I joined once I realized a Mariner was a good possibility to meet my constraints on the sailboat I could have. That way I had the expertise to evaluate what specific model I wanted, what typical prices were, issues to look for, etc. The Class Association sponsors a Rendezvous for Mariners in Connecticut each year. Last year, I trailered up there to join 19 Mariners in 3 days of sailing and overnighting. Learned a lot about enjoying Mariners in those 3 days.

Got to ask - where are you sailing in the Durango area? I gave up on sailing while living in Colorado Springs, but resumed after moving to Eastern North Carolina.

Fred W
Stuart Mariner #4133 Sweet P
Yeopim Creek, Albemarle Sound

hornjb

May 3, 2024
Fred,
Thanks for the pics they help a lot. I love the maroon hull color of your craft. Looks like roller makes it easier to position the mast for stepping. I may drill one of the pins for my mast support and use a cotter ring or similar to keep things in position. My cabin arch looks to be in good shape...still a bit of a concern. I hope to find out more about the origin of the boat soon. To my knowledge, it was brought here in 2011 from Michigan and I believe it was stored indoors a lot. Bilge condition indicates this to me. I need to build a wooden bilge floor next. I have an outdoor cover coming as well.

I will join the Mariner Class Association. I have so many questions.

See map of home to lake. :) I think I will have the biggest boat on this pond. It has been a long time since I have sailed, so I will be easing into it. Used to spend a lot of time on single sail boats, wind surfing, canoeing and whitewater kayaking. So I have a good feel for wind and respect for the power of water. A friend's dad had a 22' Cantilena moored on Cherry Creek reservoir. We would go out a few times a year so I got pretty handy as a first mate.

I plan to first float the hull and look for any issues and inspect the trailer, then home to step the mast and work my way into rigging. meanwhile there is a small sailboat club at the lake. I hope to jump into a little boat and reacquaint myself with the rules.

Thanks again! Jim

Attachments