Wood handrails leak - butyl tape or 3M 4200

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
I have a friend with a Com-Pac 19. There are wood handrails on the cabin top, and we think that this is where the leaks come from. We also think that they are bolted in with nuts inside the cabin.

Is butyl tape good for a wood to fiberglass through bolted joint like these handrails?

I know some folks feel that wood fastened by screws (like toe rails) do better with 4200, and butyl is better with bolted items.

I have the butyl tape already, and she wants to get started on this job this weekend. I've sent her MaineSail's link on butyl tape already. I'm concerned if she were using 4200, she'd get it all over everything (heck, I get it all over everything...)

Thanks,
Brian

CalebD

Jun 27, 2006
Tartan 27' 1967 Nyack, NY
Having used both 4200 & Butyl tape I'd grab Butyl tape for most any bedding job these days. Butyl is so much easier to clean up and work with. The fact that Butyl remains elastic makes it an ideal material for bedding between two different materials (FRP & wood) that expand and contract differently though temperature changes.

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
Thanks so much, Caleb!

Your reasons make a ton of sense to me, and are some of the same reasons I had recommended the butyl tape to her.

I've got 2 rolls of MaineSail's butyl on hand, she'll get her railings sealed up this weekend (hopefully)!

Brian

Oct 10, 2009
Catalina 27 Lake Monroe
I used it butyl tape for my handrails a couple years ago and have been pleased with the result. It's easy stuff to work with, provided one uses a few tricks, like using a small ball of it to clean up the excess. Thanks to Maine Sail for that tip and for making it available!

Ted

Jan 26, 2005
C&C 110 Bay Shore, Long Island, NY
butyl tape or 3M 4200

On the last few boats that I have owned that have teak handrails, I've been using a different method to prevent water intrusion. I always remove my handrails in order to refresh the finish. That way I avoid getting Cetol or varnish on the deck. I make gaskets out of 1/8" thick cork. The gasket is the exact size and shape of the portion of the teak rail that contacts the deck. The color of the cork matches the teak very well and is hardly noticeable. When it's time to remove the rails, they come off easily and clean. No caulking to clean off the deck or rails. The gaskets are reusable and have never leaked in the 30 years I've been using cork gaskets. I use butyl tape for bedding almost all other deck hardware.

Apr 3, 2008
Nonsuch Ultra 30 Gulfport, FL
Maine,

I've used your Butyl for all my stanchions and many other bedding situations. I have been reticent to use for the handrails. My handrails are held down with screws through the cabin top and screwed into the handrails. Will there be enough pressure to seat the Butyl tape when I screw the handrails back on?

Thanks,

>>ron<<

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Maine,

I've used your Butyl for all my stanchions and many other bedding situations. I have been reticent to use for the handrails. My handrails are held down with screws through the cabin top and screwed into the handrails. Will there be enough pressure to seat the Butyl tape when I screw the handrails back on?

Thanks,

>>ron<<
If you apply human body weight to compress the butyl while tightening the screws it works fine but is a two person job.. Don't rely on the screws to compress the butyl use your body weight.

Apr 3, 2008
Nonsuch Ultra 30 Gulfport, FL
Maine,

Sorry I just looked at "ask all sailors" and you answered my question.

>>ron<<

Oct 15, 2012
Venture /MacGregor V 222 Zephyr Cove, NV
Butyl tape works awesome

I have a friend with a Com-Pac 19. There are wood handrails on the cabin top, and we think that this is where the leaks come from. We also think that they are bolted in with nuts inside the cabin.

Is butyl tape good for a wood to fiberglass through bolted joint like these handrails?

I know some folks feel that wood fastened by screws (like toe rails) do better with 4200, and butyl is better with bolted items.

I have the butyl tape already, and she wants to get started on this job this weekend. I've sent her MaineSail's link on butyl tape already. I'm concerned if she were using 4200, she'd get it all over everything (heck, I get it all over everything...)

Thanks,
Brian
Brian;
I've used butyl tape on several of my boats in the past and presently just finished resetting all ports, rails and deck fittings on my M22 with butyl tape to end those small leaks. It works a treat, easy to apply, easy to trim. I got a big roll from my local Graingers supply for around $40, direct pickup no shipping. Good luck.
Cheers,
CH