Winter Project

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
That rudder looks particularly gnarly :yikes:

I assume it was full of water when you hauled out….but if the bottom is as bad as the top, it probably didn’t stay in there for long ;)

The keel isn’t nearly as concerning to my eye, but I would be checking the bilge and keel bolts before just cleaning up the crack and sealing it up.

I hauled my O’Day 322 out today and the rudder repairs I made a few years ago (not nearly as gnarly looking as yours) seem to be holding up pretty well.

Good luck…you will probably need to take rudder out of the boat to do fiberglass work up there in Sarnia.

Greg

Bents

Jul 31, 2023
Catalina 27 Sarnia
Thanks Greg,

I'm going to need all the luck I can get. The bilge has a lot of cracked paint. I plan to sand it down, reseal, repaint. Then I'll torque the bolts and tackle the crack.

I'm going to drill some drainage holes in the bottom of the rudder while I plan that job. I hope I have the clearance to drop it.

I'll keep updating here, it's going to be a long winter.

Cheers,
Chad

Jan 4, 2013
Catalina 270 Rochester, NY
If you want to have REAL fun, watch the youtube video by Sail life. He used his old rudder to make a mold and then made a new rudder using vacuum infusion. It came out great.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
If you want to have REAL fun, watch the youtube video by Sail life. He used his old rudder to make a mold and then made a new rudder using vacuum infusion. It came out great.
That guy is a perfectionist…and interesting to watch.

I wonder how much time and money he has invested in his Warrior 38 (Athena)?

Greg