What winches are best for Grampian 34 ketch?

Feb 12, 2024
grampian 34 santa xruz
I thought there would be an FAQ somewhere about this, but I’m not finding anything, so I’ll ask here. If there’s a FAQ, or section of one of the stack of books I have, that will better answer my questions, please just direct me there; but if you have a full answer, or helpful thoughts, love to hear them!

So, the short of it is that I want to replace the small, single-speed, non-tailing, tired, old winches on my Grampian 34’ ketch (when trying to hoist a helper up the mast using the existing winches, even with two of us hauling as hard as we could, we barely got him up) but I only know how to sail; I know next to nothing about the technology.

I see that Lewmar now has something called a REVO, that claims to be useful for single-handers…

I wouldn’t mind saving a few thousand € by getting six new and better winches during the westmarine BOGO, but how do I make the best decision?

For a moment, I was thinking that electric might be the way to go, but I don’t want to be dependent on electricity. Maybe electric winches can still be operated manually?

Unless there’s some newfangled technology that’s even better, I definitely want self tailing! After using single, and double speed on various boats, I’m convinced that I want double speed. I’m not really sure that I have a good opinion on anything else. I’m curious about the difference “metals“ that Lumar talks about. Particularly stuff like “chrome“ and “bronze“ in the same product.
Anyway, I’m a drift at the moment, and would like to take advantage of the sale within the next couple of weeks. So, thanks for any good advice. :)

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
For a moment, I was thinking that electric might be the way to go, but I don’t want to be dependent on electricity. Maybe electric winches can still be operated manually?
Electric winches can be operated manually.

Electric winches have their limitations, mostly involving huge sums of money for the winch and the the cabling required to install the winch. A more versatile and economical solution is a self talking winch and an eWincher, an electric winch handle. This can be used on any winch and doesn't require any additional wiring. We have one and it makes a huge difference. There are other electric winch handles, however ergonomically, this is the easiest to use. Expensive yes, cheaper than a bunch of electric winches. ;)

Particularly stuff like “chrome“ and “bronze“ in the same product.
The difference is whether the bronze is chromed. It is an appearance issue, not a functional issue. Inside they are the same and not chromed.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Understandable question. FAQ pages are often based on questions that may or may not match your needs. Perhaps what you seek is a decision tree. A way to filter the options and narrow the choices.

Start by deciding what is important.
  • Size - will it fit in the space on my boat
  • Power -
    • Manual, electric, hydraulic
    • Integral to the winch, attachable on the winch
    • Gear ratio of the winch
    • Single double or triple speed
  • Appearance - what will look good on my boat
  • Materials - what is it made of. Will it last
  • Winch handle compatibility
  • Line size compatibility
  • Self-tailing or not
  • Available at the retailer
  • Price - fits budget
  • Fits the job the winch will have on my boat.
These type of questions will help you narrow the field.
Remember you do not need to buy a 55ST winch if a 10 will serve the needs of the work it will preform.

As important as the best winch on your boat is the way the line gets to the winch. If you have a lot of friction in the lead of the line, so much so that you feel you need a winch because you can not pull the line manually, perhaps you need to reduce the causes of friction. Friction is found in many places. Blocks that are failing, lack cleaning or maintenance. Slides that do not slide. Lines that rub on surfaces as they run to where they are handled. Lines the wrong size for the sheaves. The list is long. Reduce friction first on your boat. Then find winches that will assist with control and management of the line.

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
I’m going to depart from technical aspects for a moment, which is unusual for me.
I’m worried that you wouid be hauling someone aloft with just one person below using the self/tailer.

Safety is everything
Always go aloft on 2 halyards. Ideally, 2 people in the cockpit.
More directly,,,
Do not just run a halyard into the self tailing jaws, and hoist.
Are your halyards internal? On some Grampians of that size range, they were external.
You could run one external , but you must have 1 internal.
Electric winches are wonderful . I know people who bought the electric handles (quite expensive), and wished they’d saved the money.
If you install electric, the wiring must be heavy guage. If you haven’t done this sorta stuff, hire someone to work with you.

Never clip a shackle onto the chair. Always tie the rope with a bowline, then snap on the shackle for backup.

• Helpful