Wax for APC boats

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 22, 2004
Hunter 170 Pittsburgh
Looking for suggestions for a wax to use on my 170. I've searched the archives, and it seems that most previous threads did not address APC boats (as the 170 is NOT fiberglass). Any suggestions? I've used automotive wax in the past, but have not been too impressed with the results.

Mar 8, 2005
Hunter 170 Ventura, California
Good car wax !

I used McGuires, either the wax or polish. For the past 30 years I have always had and antique car to pamper, I learned a long time a go, McGuires is one of the best. The material that is used for the 170 in itself is some what dull in appearance. The polish, wax does a good job of light cleaning and leaving a nice finish but it will not give you a high luster look if thats what your trying to accomplish. Be very carefull what you use on the hull / deck Simple green works well for cleaning. Glenn

Mar 23, 2004
- - Paradise, CA
Non-slip wax

On my Hunter 216, I use car wax on hull, non-slip Woody Wax on the foredeck/cockpit. I use StarBright deck cleaner. I have been pleased with the results. Twice a year I use Comet/rubbing compound with a power buffer for the stubborn stains/black marks then wax it. My boat sparkles. I trailer sail at least 45 weekends a year so my boat sees a fair amount of use. (Woody Wax is pricy but the pint I got has lasted two years so far...so in the long run it is not all that expensive.)

gball

Jun 8, 2004
Hunter 170 Alachua, FL
MacGuir's does the trick

Hey guys, I second the good-car-wax notion. I used McGuir's car wax on my 170-- really buffs it to a smooth, clear shine. Mike G.

gball

Jun 8, 2004
Hunter 170 Alachua, FL
How long does it take to wax your 216?!

Paul, WOW! How long does it take to wax your 216? My 170 takes a solid couple of hours, but the 216 must be half a day! --that huge cockpit and all... Mike

R

Rock Smith

3M better than Meguair's for ACP

Mike, your close to the factory...go ask 'em. (recommended wax). I know, ACPs are made in Conn., but they would have knowledge in Alachua plant. Try 3M Ultra Performance Paste Wax V Meguiar's. 3M is designed for marine substrates in the marine environment. Meguiar's is designed for automotive finsihes on the street. Very different parameters. I do like the non slip wax for the deck.

R

Rock Smith

Starb is Crap

Can you say "snakeoil"? Buy the local boat staore private label stuff. It will work just as well, and is probably packaged by Star-Brite.

Dec 3, 2003
Hunter Legend 37 Portsmouth, RI
I like Maguire's 50

It's a cleaner/wax and I've used it for years on my L37 in salt water.

Status
Not open for further replies.