water damaged interior wood

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dan Geltmacher

I have some water damage wood (Teak veneer) in my galley. The veneer is almost white. The rest of the interior looks fine. How can I repair this water damaged wood and match it to the rest of the interior? Dan Ps already fixed the leak!

J

Jack Laird

Restore your teak

A good soak with teak oil should bring the washed wood right back to a match with the remainder of your interior. In fact give the whole interor a coat or two a couple of times a year and keep it looking like new.

J

john geiger

I had water stained teak

Last year I bought 79 H 27 Which had been abandon at the marina. The hull was in good shape, but the teak interior was all bleached out and waterstained. I tried differant things,but what worked best was: I took a very fine Scotch Brite soaked in odorless mineral spirits to remove the wax and mildew. let this evaporate till dry. If really bad repeat. I then put 2 coats of Amazon Teak Oil on everything. It took 1 gallon for my boat-yours will probly need 1 1/2 gallons. I am very happy the way it came out.

J

john geiger

I had water stained teak

Last year I bought 79 H 27 Which had been abandon at the marina. The hull was in good shape, but the teak interior was all bleached out and waterstained. I tried differant things,but what worked best was: I took a very fine Scotch Brite soaked in odorless mineral spirits to remove the wax and mildew. let this evaporate till dry. If really bad repeat. I then put 2 coats of Amazon Teak Oil on everything. It took 1 gallon for my boat-yours will probly need 1 1/2 gallons. I am very happy the way it came out.

A

Alan Eland

Interior Finish

Dan, Hunter uses a product called Daly's Seafin and Daly's Profin. You can order directly from Daly's at 1-800-735-7019. Good luck. Alan

C

Colihn

Deck wash!

The suppliers of the teak marine equipment located in BC informed me that it was fine to use deck wash to removed that grey/bleached appearance and some stains from teak. I will however, try some on an out of the way area first.

D

Doug B

Starbrite products avail at West Marine

I would suggest staying away from Teak cleaners that are two part acid/base type. Acid is a bad chemical to be messing with below decks. However, you can buy at west marine, or through their mail order a couple of products that will get your interior looking bristol again. 1) Starbrite (I believe) teak cleaner.a 2) Starbrite Teak brightener to get the gray and washed out appearance to go and the natural beauty of the teak to resurface. 3) Good soaking of teak oil (starbrite is good). Slop it on real heavy...let it sit for a good 15-20 minutes and then buff it real good. You will not have spent that much time (as this cleaning/brightening method will drastically shorten sanding times) and you will love the outcome. Note: if it is currently varnished...sand until varnish is gone but dont try to sand to clean pretty wood. That much graying will be very deep. Let the cleaning and brightening chemicals do the job instead of leaving your teak in the form of sawdust on your sole. Happy sailing doug

Status
Not open for further replies.