want to raise main from cockpit

Aug 17, 2013
Pearson P30 202 Ottawa/Gatineau
Hello all, my Pearson 30 isn’t rigged to raise the main from the cockpit, what, apart from a longer halyard do I need?
I know I will need to add a raised platform for the winch as there is a raised ridge on the cabin roof.

I need a turning block at the base of the mast (I don’t remember how the base is at the moment, darn winter)

I will need a halyard guide.

a clutch or other to hold the halyard.

and a winch.

Am I forgetting anything?

Aug 11, 2011
O'day 30 313 Georgetown MD
All of the above bolted down equipment will need heavy duty backing plates. Drill your holes oversized. Fill with thickened epoxy, re drill to size needed, chamfer the holes. Use the best butyl tape you can find to bed everything. The better you do it, the happier you will be later.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I think you have most of it…

turning block at base of mast, line organizer probably, clutch, and a winch.

You can see how my lines are run back to the cockpit in this shot…halyard is actually on the other side, but same setup.

IMG_0817_Original.jpeg

Greg

Aug 17, 2013
Pearson P30 202 Ottawa/Gatineau
What size winch should I be looking at?
yes I would do the reefing lines at the same time

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Fred, the force you need to generate by the winch will be directly proportional to the amount of friction you have in your mast sheaves, sail track/slides, halyard leads, clutches and turning blocks. Many owners wanting to raise the sail from the cabin find the need to upgrade the mast track to a “Tides Marine Strong Track” to reduce the friction. Being at the mast you can use body weight to help raise the sail on the traditional mast track.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I highly recommend the Strong Track. I added mine when I bought a new main sail with full battens. It helped with the friction caused by the full battens. You would need to have new slides sewn onto the sail I believe.

For the winch, you can get away with a small single speed winch….something like this…

Many boats have 1 cabin top winch, but I would go with 2…so you can have the halyard on one, and a reef line on the other when reefing.

My O’Day 322 came with something similar…I don’t remember the exact size… but I upsized my primary winches and moved my smaller primaries (2-speed) to my cabin top.

Greg

Dec 14, 2003
Hunter 34 Lake of Two Mountains, QC, Can
Once you've go the location of the clutches and winch figured out, drill a small hole slowly through the fiberglass. A lot of boat manufacturers sandwiched an aluminum plate in the fiberglass, thus eliminating the need for a back plate. If your Pearson does have the backplate, drilling the small hole will bring up aluminum shavings from the drilling. Go slow. Then drill proper size hole and tap the aluminum backplate. Of course you've got to prevent water from seeping in once clutches and winch are installed.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
A clean mast track will do wonders to reduce friction. I found a Magic Eraser makes fast work of it. I've tried SailKote and McLube and found that I liked WD40s dry lube better. The first cleaning takes a while but after that it's about 30 minutes with the mast down

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
Please post pictures. It will help everyone.

It WILL be more difficult than standing at the mast. You can't up your weight on the rope. There will be more friction. I've had both and working from the cockpit is the new fashion, but if it was NOT the fashion for hundreds of years ... maybe there was a reason. I see a lot of "new" cockpit designs that are absolutely worse under sail, just more comfortable at anchor. This is not a change I would make, based on experience.

For example, hoisting sail on my 34-foot cruising cat was easier than my 24-foot trimaran. Leverage and friction. I have to winch more on the tri.

But Dyneema helps, for example. Track systems help.