Traveller

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Barry

Before I purchased this boat (H30 1975) vintage, the previous owner moved the traveller from in frot of the companionway to the stern. I wonder how much sail shape and performance I am loosing. We do not race but do enjor the 6.5 kts we get now. Does it really make that much difference? Also, the winches are in terrible shape and probably need to overhaul. One appears to be locked, and the other is very stiff. Any suggestions short of spending a fortune on new ones? Barry

E

Ed Schenck

Winches and travellers.

Hi Barry, Wish those were my H37C's only problems. I thought you'd hear more from the experts, I'm not one of them. But generally you read that the more leverage(further aft) the mainsheet has the better. So having the traveller at the stern should require less purchase for the same or better control. And you should be able to keep better mainsail shape with that arrangement. You should be able to dismantle and lubricate the winches. Some web-sites like PYACHT have illustrations of the parts for some makes like Lewmar. If you can't get that detail I have Lewmar manuals at home. The disassembly/assembly is probably similar on most makes. Ed(schencked@bfusa.com)

J

Jay Hill

Ed's Right!

...you should try to lubricate winches yourself. It's a great learning experience and will save you tons of money. My only tip is to make sure you use a plastic washtub to collect, clean, grease, and reassemble the parts. If you don't, you will lose something and the winch will not work. If you put the whole thing back together and it will not hold a grip, you have one of the gears upside down. Take careful notes when you disassemble so you get everything right the first time. It's not hard to do.

L

Les Blackwell

A tip on cleaning winches

When you take a winch apart wheather on land or by sea (at the dock), take a medium sized cardboard box and cut a circle out of the bottom. Set this over your winch and then proceed to take it apart. Pieces that spring out will be caught by the box and you'll have less chance of losing small stuff. West marine also sells spare parts kits which are good to have--spings and pawls, etc. Les

Status
Not open for further replies.