Trailer Mods Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 22, 2004
Hunter 170 Brewerton
This pic shows the addition of a holddown strap from bow eye to trailer. Without the strap, NO holding power is provided by the winch rope if you slam on the brakes. Boat will come in thru the back window! (Besides, winch manual states the winch is not intended as a secure means to keep the boat on trailer). Gives me peace of mind on the highway. Next, added layers of 3/4 plywood to raise winch. Had trouble with rope dragging over-and turning over-rubber bow yoke when retrieving boat. Didn't matter how little trailer was backed into water to keep stearn from floating. Seems plenty solid but will keep an eye on it. Relocating entire winch frame didn't help either so had to settle for the plywood riser. Last item, installed eyebolt on mast crutch upright and length of heavy braided line. Serves as tiedown for mast in crutch and also use to hold stepped mast secure when attaching forestay to roller. Just untie from around mast in crutch, leave other end tied to eyebolt, throw loose end into boat. Step mast (I use my body to hold mast up) and with a small permanent loop tied in eyebolt line, utilize a mast cleat...one turn around mast and put loop around cleat. Back away and let eyebolt line take weight of mast. Plenty secure. Again, hope these are of value to others. Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.