Tiller

Tater

Oct 26, 2021
Hunter 170 Lake Logan Martin AL
I wanted to pretty this up before sharing, but who has the time?

Some think I am cheap. I prefer "resourceful". I learned a long time ago that boats are expensive. If you can avoid the word "boat" while maintaining one there is money to do other things. Economists call this "opportunity cost".

My 170 came without a tiller. I was unwilling to pay big bucks for a piece of wood despite the fact that it is pretty. It is at its core, a hinged stick.
My solution used EMT conduit. It cost about $10. The hardware cost about $1. The bender was borrowed but they can be found for about $20. I will wrap it for aesthetics eventually. If anyone wants more detail, just ask.

Tiller.jpg

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
One step up from an aluminum broom handle I used one time. Not sure anyone realized where it came from.

Johnb

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Richmond CA
I went at a pick handle with a spoke shave until it was a most elegant tiller.

And strong too.

Sep 25, 2018
Catalina Capri 22 Capri EXPO 14.2 1282 Stony Point
used a screw driver as a stick shift on a Peugeot. Lend the car to an employee and he returned with the shift in his hand. Finally put a threaded rod into the shift and epoxied it together. Stayed that way for a decade.

Tater

Oct 26, 2021
used a screw driver as a stick shift on a Peugeot. Lend the car to an employee and he returned with the shift in his hand. Finally put a threaded rod into the shift and epoxied it together. Stayed that way for a decade.
I remember something similar with a 62 VW. (I am that old!) We were not so lucky with a simple fix.
I still like a stick. My next may have one.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I waited six months for a special ordered "standard" transmission instead of driving its automatic twin off the lot. I love standards.

My daughter said, the other day, that she never realized I was good at driving a stick until she got in a car with a couple of other people driving standard transmissions and felt them going through every gear. She grew up believing standard transmissions drove just like automatics.

Sadly, I don't own one anymore.

-Will

Sep 25, 2018
Catalina Capri 22 Capri EXPO 14.2 1282 Stony Point
Still have a 6 speed on a 2007 Cayman S. Likely my last standard shift. While todays transmissions are much quicker than I, being able to ride third gear on a twisty road is amazing. Trying that with an automatic I find it shifting when I don’t want to. It falls back to auto mode if you are not actively shifting. Luckily, the auto is on a Macan which would be a pain if standard. BTW, while Porsche claims to sell the Macan as a Standard, it takes a year to get one as they are only sold in Europe.

Tater

Oct 26, 2021
The original is just some 6061 1" square tubing with 2 bends. If you have a local welding shop stop by and see what they have.

I looked at that in the beginning. I am a big fan of DIY. Having no way to bend square tube, EMT was the clear choice. Thanks.

Aug 22, 2011
MacGregor Venture V224 Cheeseland
I wonder how flexy that emt will be under load.

Last year I needed a new tiller; a pair of new wheel barrow handles gave me a new strong tiller and a spare....

Tater

Oct 26, 2021
I wonder how flexy that emt will be under load.

Last year I needed a new tiller; a pair of new wheel barrow handles gave me a new strong tiller and a spare....
EMT is rigid over a short run. The tiller is about 5.5'. The extension is about 4.5'. I designed it to allow comfortable seating at the beam. Thanks.