THE R2AK... No whimpy Beer Can around the Harbor civilized afternoon on the bay...

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
The R2AK a No motor, No support, all the way to Alaska. Navigate the 750 cold water miles from Port Townsend, Washington, to Ketchikan, Alaska if you dare...

Interested?
Applications for the 2022 race are open... Home - Race to Alaska . Not much time left....
Application Deadline: April 15, 2022
Registration Deadline: April 22, 2022

Good Old Boat had a great article in their current free offered magazine
Good Old Boat wins BIG at the BWI awards
We've made access to these articles free for everyone, so be sure to download the special issue.
For. taste....
The rules are intentionally simple:
No engines, no outside support, no classes, no handicaps.
The Northwest Maritime Center of Port Townsend, Washington, runs R2AK and describes the challenge this way: “It’s like the Iditarod, on a boat, with a chance of drowning, being run down by a freighter, or eaten by a grizzly bear. There are squalls, killer whales, tidal currents that run upwards of 20 miles an hour, and some of the most beautiful scenery on earth.”
It’s also been called “the America’s Cup for dirtbags,” in the fondest, most irreverent sense of that illustrious term.
Oh, and the winner of R2AK walks away in soggy sea boots with a cool 10 grand in cash nailed to a log.

I believe this is why many competitors carry a mandatory claw hammer in their gear on board.
Check out the R2AK here

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
If you're into a more relaxed trip, there's a R2AK boat looking for crew on the return trip - Sitka to Port Townsend. Then you could use an engine when the wind died. My brother took his J/30 from Seattle to Juneau and motored most of the way because there was no wind.

Oct 22, 2014
What Mike? Not into that 24hour, live on the edge, little sleep, near frost bite, cold meal, hypothermia existence? I would think with your medical background you would be a desired commodity aboard any of the race boats.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
If you're into a more relaxed trip, there's a R2AK boat looking for crew on the return trip - Sitka to Port Townsend. Then you could use an engine when the wind died. My brother took his J/30 from Seattle to Juneau and motored most of the way because there was no wind.
So the boat can have a motor…you just can’t use it? When I read the description of the race, I assumed you could not have an engine in the boat.

Greg

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
What Mike? Not into that 24hour, live on the edge, little sleep, near frost bite, cold meal, hypothermia existence? I would think with your medical background you would be a desired commodity aboard any of the race boats.
Well if it’s for pay then I might be in. I just spent 6 hours beating in a 20knot (tws) from Three Tree Point to Point Defiance. I couldn’t image doing that for that distance. Pride in not starting the diesel only goes so far.
F2CF8738-C871-47C0-AE41-164D67C2B49C.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Ha
Nov 21, 2012
Yamaha 33 Port Ludlow, WA
You actually have to take the motor out. We were at Point Hudson for the 2019 start when a couple of strapping lads carried a 2GM20 up the dock to a waiting car that was going to haul it to Alaska for them. When I asked them what was going in its place, they laughed and said, "More room for beer!" At the same time, Sail Like A Girl was hauled to have her saildrive removed.

Oct 22, 2014
Mike that looks like some heavy rainfall.
Last time I was in rain storm that heavy was when I visited Port Ludlow and took shelter in Mermike’s Tosca. An hour later it cleared and I was able to sail back to home port.

That would be weather best managed wearing Foulies.

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
Mike that looks like some heavy rainfall.
Last time I was in rain storm that heavy was when I visited Port Ludlow and took shelter in Mermike’s Tosca. An hour later it cleared and I was able to sail back to home port.
This was Saturday evening on our way to Blakely Harbor. It poured on us south of Blake Island but missed us the rest of the way. I'd have some anxieties not having a aux power source given the narrow passages in Desolation sound and the currents. Maybe in someone elses boat.

WayneH

Jan 22, 2008
Tartan 37 287 Pensacola, FL
My humble opinion: The only ice I want to be close to is the ice cube used to chill the Mathusalem rum in my glass.

So yeah, HARD pass.