The End of Singlehanding

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 22, 2008
Endeavour 32 Portland, Maine
This forum saga has primarily been the story of a strange old guy alone on a boat wandering up and down the East Coast but that is about to change. The announcement was buried down in an earlier thread but we recently became “In a relationship” on Facebook which is probably about as official as it will get for people of our age and inclinations.

Please welcome to this forum the beautiful Dreameagle. This is her Mohawk name and the one she will be known by here due to ongoing professional commitments as she transitions into full retirement.

She has done quite a bit of sailing but mostly on the Hudson River and aboard the Clearwater so much of what she experiences aboard Strider will be new. We expect that she will contribute to this forum occasionally to bring the fresh perspective of someone seeing the ICW, the lowlands, and New England coast for the first time.

My new life begins when she arrives tomorrow although we are starting with a road trip to drive my father back to Ohio from a conference and visit the two towns I grew up in. We’ll then be spending a while sailing around the bay before she has to return home.

I’ll now be spending a lot more time ashore. This has been a great two and a half years but it’s getting to be a little like eating lobster every night. As I have often mentioned previously, I have been increasingly ready to do some other things in life besides sailing and experience cruising as it used to be, a change and respite from life ashore. A lot of things on shore have recently gotten much more attractive.

Although we never met when young, our family roots and summer cottages are just a half mile apart so it is drawing me back to the geographical center of my life and family. We plan to divide next summer between upstate New York and a cruise to Maine.

I’ll be leaving the boat for the last half of November and we then plan to head down the ICW. After that, who knows? Cruising is life and life is cruising.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
That is great news, Roger.. I am convinced that we aren't meant to be alone for long periods of time.. Great to find a friend who shares so much .. Congrats to you both ! Looking forward to posts from DreamEagle.

Oct 4, 2011
Want A Hunter! 33 Seneca Lake
She's quite the catch, Captain. You have done well.
Smooth sailing to the both of you!

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
John Stewart wrote: "Isn't interesting at the folks we hook up with usually live only 25 miles from where we grew up?"

Oct 25, 2011
Island Packet IP31 Lake St. Louis, Montreal
Congratulations to both of you. Life and cruising are meant to be adventures. Go and see what's around the next bend!

Jul 24, 2006
Legnos, Starwind, Regal Mystic 30 cutter, 22 trailer sailor, bow rider NEW PORT RICHEY, FL
welcome Dreameagle! Hope to hear from you on your new life with Roger. Good on you Roger, life is full of changes and surprises, enjoy!

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
Very happy for you two!

When I read the title of the post I was quite concerned. I am happy to find out you only fallen for a beautiful lady and not down the companionway.

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
Congrats to the both of you, Robert and Dreameagle. I look forward to reading about your adventures on the high seas in the coming months.

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
Hi Roger,

We're sitting in the Solomon's and thought of you as we sailed in. Nice to hear you will have someone aboard full-time. Welcome Dreameagle, let us know how big the next boat will be.

All U Get

Jul 29, 2010
Macgregor 76 V-25 #928 Lake Mead, Nevada
Best Wishes to you both. It's a lucky person who can find companionship later in life. Penny, My beloved first mate of 40 years passed 4 1/2 years ago. I haven't been sailing on Freedom since then. Just wouldn't be the same.

Dec 10, 2009
Samson C-farer 39 D'Escousse, NS
Congratulations my friend... I wish you both, fair winds and happy trails.
Sea ya in the coconuts. ...... :)

Aug 24, 2012
Sailstar/Bristol/Herrshof Courier 26 Kemah , TX
aye, this is lovely news indeed!
I also had feared some grave situation had befallen you, so superlatively happy to realize such an opposite occurrence, Aye! Good on the both of yous, Fair winds, (land & sea, eh?)

Status
Not open for further replies.