Teflon coatings

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bill McBain

I have had teflon powder coated on some parts I use in my business and wondered if this has been tried on props and shafts. My boat stays in warm water and the growth is very fast on the stainless steel shaft and polished flex-o-fold prop.It seems everything would fall off as soon as I am motoring

K

Kevin L. Wood

Teflon

Dear Bill: Thanks for the letter. We at PYI have tried Teflon with less then good results. After a very short period of time the material would flake off producing a spotty surface. The suppliers of the material suggested that our procedure of degreasing was not sufficient. They also suggested that if we ruffed up the blade surface we may experience better results. Doing each of these did not produce any better results. We did find that it was more difficult to buff out the wheel. One thing I have used here in the great Northwest has been Desitine. (The baby diaper rash ointment.) It is thought that the zinc oxide produces an environment which biological material can not survive on. Of coarse, it does not stay on when the propeller is being used but it works great if I leave my boat for extended periods of time. It also works on dingy bottoms. It’s cheap and can be applied underwater with minimal mess. Hope this helps. Sincerely, Kevin L. Woody

Status
Not open for further replies.