Teak Oil or Spar Varnish?

Dec 27, 2013
Catalina Capri 18 Accokeek, Md
What are the opinions out there regarding finishing wood trim on my Capri 18 with spar varnish instead of continually using teak oil? I know teak oil is the traditional method of protecting the wood, but it seems to me that the labor savings and possible life extension of my wood trim might warrant switching to spar varnish? Does anyone out there have a spar varnish finish that they have had on for several seasons? What are your thoughts?

kito

Sep 13, 2012
1979 Hunter Cherubini 30 Clemmons
I like the look of freshly cleaned and oiled teak. Problem is it doesn't last long especially when in weather. On my c22 the PO varnished the handrails but just oiled the crib boards. The handrails are still a nice golden color while the crib boards needs another cleaning this Spring. I will be using varnish from now on. I also feel that the yearly cleaning and brushing of teak takes it toll. It starts to wear the softer fibers and leaves a raised grain. It all depends on what you like. Some like the teak to turn grey, some like it dark....I prefer a golden color and the varnish seems to protect the teak from weather.

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
if you put about 5 coats of teak oil on it will last a lot longer than just a rub on coat and the more coats you put on the glossier it gets ..but it takes about 6 days to do five coats as you need to let it dry between each coat .....

regards

woody

Dec 23, 2008
Catalina 22 Central Penna.
Maintenance free is plastic. I've used oil and it has to be applied a couple times a season. I've used varnish and it will last a couple years until it needs to be completely redone.
I've now gone to varnish "Flagship"13 coats minimum with sanding between coats and then made canvas coverings for all. Every spring I sand and apply two coats of varnish, prettiest girl at the lake.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
It all depends on two simple things: what YOU like to look at on YOUR boat, and how much work you're willing to put into it.

This subject has literally been beaten to death over the years. I've tried them all: oil, varnish, cetol, grey.

I'm in between decisions now. :):):)

Your boat, your choice. :)

Jun 9, 2008
- -- -Bayfield
Teak oil is subject to evaporation, so to keep it looking nice, you have to reapply, which is easier than varnishing. There are cheap teak oils and more expensive ones, and of course, most people don't like to spend money, so they buy the cheap stuff. Interlux, for example, has a teak oil that is quite expensive, but it lasts a lot longer I have found. So, like most anything, you get what you pay for. Teak wood has natural oils in it and so you can't just varnish away with good results. The oil will lift the varnish in time, unless you do it properly. Properly means cleaning the teak well and priming it. There are some epoxy primers out there for varnish base coatings or you can go with Epiphanes's Teak Formulated varnish, but you must follow their directions for best results. I use this one a few of my boats and I love it, but it is a labor of love because you have to put on up to 8 or more coats of any varnish to make it look really nice. Another alternative is Sikkens Cetol which is also a teak sealer. They have had several generations of the stuff of which the first was too orangy colored. But now they have improved the color and the last formulation called something like Natural Teak is the only one of their products with a UV filter (or inhibitor). Most exterior varnishes have UV filters in them, but they are not permanent nor last for ever. You have to give it a recoat to replenish the UV inhibitor feature, but it is recommended to lightly sand your varnished teak annually and give it a coat anyway to keep it up. BTW, the Epiphane's teak varnish can be applied daily without sanding between coats, which makes it easier to do, but sometimes sanding now and then gives you a better look anyway. Back to Sikkens.....you apply a minimum of 3 coats of Sikkens Cetol - no more than one coat a day - and if you do this within the 2 week window, you don't have to sand between coats either. If you desire a high gloss finish (but Sikkens looks pretty good with the base formula), you can add their gloss finish on top of the first three coats. Sikkens is so easy and really lasts a long time and so if you are looking for something between oil and varnish, try Sikkens Cetol.

hewebb

Oct 8, 2011
Catalina Catalina 25 Joe Pool Lake
I sanded and teak oiled all the outside wood, some are new pieces. I wipe on a coat once a season. After three years it still looks great. I do have a boat cover that covers all the wood. I use the cover when the boat is on the trailer. I prefer that look-others prefer high gloss varnish. Some like the gray un-finished look.
Do what you prefer.