Suggestions on moving my boat forward on trailer

Mar 30, 2024
Macgregor venture newport news
I am in a pickle right now so please read and send viable suggestions.
I bought a boat 3 1/2 hours away from me. Upon pickup and inspection I noticed the boat was too far back in its trailer. I went through with the purchase not thinking moving it would take more than a little leverage. I was wrong, everything I had tried didn’t budge the boat. I am seeking options and opinions on what I should do. There wasn’t enough tongue weight to attach it safely to my hitch.
IMG_1491.jpeg

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
How are the boats being launched at this marina? If this is a dry sailed boat with a hoist, pick it up and set back down on the trailer correctly. If there is a travel lift, do the same. Lastly, if it is ramp launched, float it again and set on correctly. If it is a short tow to the launch ramps, put some weight on the trailer in front of the tires.

The more challenging way, uses posts, beams and jacks to lift the boat off the trailer and then maneuver the trailer under the boat correctly, so it is on straight and forward.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I'm assuming there isn't a crane or travel lift available.
I'm trying to imagine how the boat was put on the trailer. It looks like the boat was dragged onto the trailer as far as it would go and that was it. You may have to jack the boat up and put on cribs so that you can adjust the trailer to fit. This may involve welding pop ups on. That seems like a big boat to be on bunks (Which don't fit in the current configuration).
There is a business - Sailors Moving Sailors- which has carved out a niche in moving land locked boats. They may be able to help.
Was there any representation by the seller that the trailer is custom?

Nov 12, 2009
J/ 32 NCYC, Western Lake Erie
I am in a pickle right now so please read and send viable suggestions.
I bought a boat 3 1/2 hours away from me. Upon pickup and inspection I noticed the boat was too far back in its trailer. I went through with the purchase not thinking moving it would take more than a little leverage. I was wrong, everything I had tried didn’t budge the boat. I am seeking options and opinions on what I should do. There wasn’t enough tongue weight to attach it safely to my hitch. View attachment 224078
Is there any chance that the boat is supposed to be on the trailer facing the other way?
Look how far from the hull the support bunks are now. If you move the boat ahead even more they will hardly be supporting any of the hull. Also note how far forward the keel guides are in relation to the keel. Any possibility this is the wrong trailer for the boat? I know it's a sailboat trailer, and I know it has a sailboat resting on it, but.... Is someone just trying to make a sale? I don't think I'd be too comfortable with that pairing. Good luck!

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
Recently had to rent a crane, $550/hr. two hour minimum, Impossible for me to tell from photo but trailer is curious, no bow stop or support.

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
The trailer does not appear to match the boat. The keel appears too long for the seat on the trailer. The bunks do not appear to support the boat properly.

I would be sure the trailer will work with the boat before taking it on the road.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Is there any chance that the boat is supposed to be on the trailer facing the other way?
Look how far from the hull the support bunks are now. If you move the boat ahead even more they will hardly be supporting any of the hull. Also note how far forward the keel guides are in relation to the keel. Any possibility this is the wrong trailer for the boat? I know it's a sailboat trailer, and I know it has a sailboat resting on it, but.... Is someone just trying to make a sale? I don't think I'd be too comfortable with that pairing. Good luck!
Good catch! Some trailers are designed to tow the boat stern first.

The boat is also askew and the keel is not centered inside the keel channel, which is more than large enough. Note also the keel channel is tapered towards the rear of the trailer. Trailers are built that way to help guide the keel in to position, which no one did when the boat was put on the trailer.

LloydB

Jan 15, 2006
Macgregor 22 Silverton
Looks to me like somebody got in a hurry to get the boat out of the water or could not back the trailer into the water far enough to position the boat properly on the bunks. Take the boat back to the ramp and reposition it on the trailer or to a Marina with a travel lift. With the rear support positioned on the corners of the trailer as they are it seems unlikely that boat was ever deliberately loaded with the stern forward on the trailer. Go to trailer sailor forum on this site and search for McGregor 25 trailer bow ratchet as that may be an orphaned trailer anyway. You might also look for a mass raising system in the boat while you are at it.

Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
Wow, The boat is funny on the trailer!

It also appears that the boat is at an angle to the trailer. The stern is certainly turned toward us in the picture, and the bow is turned away. As already noted, the keel is out of its guides toward us. With the long and apparently fixed keel on the boat, it may not have been designed for trailering. (Often, tailorable boats have retractable keels.) If it was not designed to trailer, then your trailer may be a one off design.

My suggestion, having read the previous comments is:

1. Figure out if there might be a fit of the boat to the trailer. Then work out a process to get it there while it is in the water. If you can't figure that out then you need to find a trailer that will work, or rent a slip for the boat.
2. Weight the tongue as suggested, then slowly take the trailer to the ramp, and launch the boat off the trailer.
3. Follow your process to get it properly back on the trailer.
4. Figure out how to secure the boat and its equipment for safe trailering on the road.

Where to get more detailed advise? What kind of boat is it? Find an owner who has successfully trailered that boat model, and consult him for advice.

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
The trailer is made for a much larger boat. Even if the tongue weight was correct, the bunk system does not support the boat evenly and I would not use it. That being said, the easiest thing would be to add weight to the front of the trailer to get it to where you can fix it all. I'd add a platform to the front and load it up with concrete.

• Helpful

higgs

Aug 24, 2005
Nassau 34 Olcott, NY
Your avatar says McGregor, but this boat does not look like a McGregor. Looks more like a Merit 25. If it is Merit, I think Mike is correct that the trailer is for a larger boat. The Merit typically needs only a single axle. The stern support looks to be in the approximate right place, yet the bow is far short of where it should be on the trailer.