Spinnaker on Hunter e33

Apr 9, 2018
Hunter 37.5 Melbourne, Fl
I recently bought a 2013 Hunter e33 and would like to add a spinnaker. Does anyone have any idea what track and ring to add to the mast and how to set up the running rigging?

kbgunn

Sep 19, 2017
2005 Hunter 33 Lake Lewisville, TX
Hi @rbrentsaunders
Congrats on the new boat! The manual for your boat is here: Link to manual On page 176 is a discussion of spinnaker launching and rigging. Illustrations on the next page.

If you are not a racer, the best option is an asymmetric spinnaker which doesn't need a pole for the clew of the sail. Makes launching and retrieving much easier. Also a "spinnaker sock" makes it even more simple. Another option would be a "Code 0" with a furling system which can be deployed for down wind sailing and removed when not used. A good sail loft can walk you through the pros and cons. Both do not need a pole or mast mounted track.

If you are a racer, you would probably already know what you wanted.

-KG

P.S. you will find lots of good documentation for your boat on the Marlow-Hunter site here: Index of /wp-content/export
Brochures, vendor manuals, as well as the manual linked above.

Apr 9, 2018
Hunter 37.5 Melbourne, Fl
Hi @rbrentsaunders
Congrats on the new boat! The manual for your boat is here: Link to manual On page 176 is a discussion of spinnaker launching and rigging. Illustrations on the next page.

If you are not a racer, the best option is an asymmetric spinnaker which doesn't need a pole for the clew of the sail. Makes launching and retrieving much easier. Also a "spinnaker sock" makes it even more simple. Another option would be a "Code 0" with a furling system which can be deployed for down wind sailing and removed when not used. A good sail loft can walk you through the pros and cons. Both do not need a pole or mast mounted track.

If you are a racer, you would probably already know what you wanted.

-KG

P.S. you will find lots of good documentation for your boat on the Marlow-Hunter site here: Index of /wp-content/export
Brochures, vendor manuals, as well as the manual linked above.
KG,

Thank you so much for the reply! It is a wealth of knowledge! However, I would like to add a spinnaker pole for downwind and do not see any reference in the manual. I have emailed Selden to see if they have a recommendation. The mast is very curved on the front face which might make it tricky to mount a track on.

Thanks again,
Brent

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
There are rings at the base of the arch ( forward post ) for blocks to run the sheets to the winches. Run the sheets outside of the safety lines. Tack goes to a block attached to a hole at the top of the anchor roller. There is a sheave in the mast above the jib halyard for a spinnaker halyard and will run thru the turning blocks on deck to clutch on the coach roof beside the jib halyard clutch.

You may want to try the spinnaker without the pole for a bit to see how it behaves. Adding a pole adds a lot more in hoisting and setting the sail etc. as well as rigging and you may find running just off ddw is faster and more managable. I just ordered a North Sails G1 genneker ( slightly smaller asymetrical ) a few days ago ( finally after 15 yrs with the boat ) and got a dousing sock with it. Google Asymmetriacl dousing sock and several You-Tube vid will pop up.

I'm assuming you have in-mast furler. Your mast should NOT be curved, but mostly straight. Pre-bend mentioned in the Selden manuals is for standard main and is often mistaken. There has been numerous discussions on bend / no bend on fulring main and the proper rigging is no or little pre-bend.

This is from the Owners Manual on previous years of the H33. I see they removed the B&R tuning instructions from the new model manuals. I can get you the pages if interested.

The maximum amount of
bend should be no more than 8”
[203mm] for the standard rig and no
more than 2” [50mm] for the furling
mast.

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Tack goes to a block attached to a hole at the top of the anchor roller.
When you attach a tack to a tack sheet on the bow you are deploying an asymmetrical Spinnaker. When you have two sheets run a stern and a halyard hoisting the sail head to the mast head you have a regular spinnaker. In that case it helps to have a pole serve as a spar connecting the windward clew to the mast. You want the pole to lie parallel with the horizon. This is best trimmed using a line to the mast and one that runs to the deck. They serve as up haul and down haul controlling the pole positioning. The leeward clue runs to the stern. The sail is flown out in front of the boat like a kite Controlled by the sheets.

Two different sail, both called spinnakers. I find the asymmetrical has less requirements to fly with similar but not equal performance.

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
When you attach a tack to a tack sheet on the bow you are deploying an asymmetrical Spinnaker. When you have two sheets run a stern and a halyard hoisting the sail head to the mast head you have a regular spinnaker. In that case it helps to have a pole serve as a spar connecting the windward clew to the mast. You want the pole to lie parallel with the horizon. This is best trimmed using a line to the mast and one that runs to the deck. They serve as up haul and down haul controlling the pole positioning. The leeward clue runs to the stern. The sail is flown out in front of the boat like a kite Controlled by the sheets.

Two different sail, both called spinnakers. I find the asymmetrical has less requirements to fly with similar but not equal performance.

Of course I do know the difference between spinnakers having flown both. I just went through buying an Asym so my brain was reading in that direction, not thinking of full spin and OP was a little cryptic in description.