Spinnaker Blocks

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
The blocks you are showing are nothing special. The design is showing it’s age.
Do you feel the need to try and find something of a specific vintage or OEM structure?
IF not, then there are many options.

Spinnakers are often handled with free wheeling blocks.
You can find a plain block from Garhauer Marine, Harken, Lewmar, Ronstan that will serve your purpose. It looks like you have a fixture attached to the block. It could be replaced by a strong padeye that could fold down to keep it out of the way. When not in use. The pad eye could be put to multiple uses not just for spinnaker blocks that may rarely get used.
Here is an example of Garhauer Marine’s aged block from eBay.
1697817885442.png

A folding Pad-eye…
1697818016199.jpeg
Attachment can be several ways. I prefer a soft shackle for my spinnaker blocks. Attached to the pad-eye.

Attachments

• Helpful
Dec 2, 2003
Hunter 260 winnipeg, Manitoba
Can’t tell if yours is ratcheting or not but here is a similar block, same brand. I suspect the base was added to the block by the boat manufacturer. A good machine shop/welder can probably fab a base up for you.

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
paul Elvstrom was a superstar sailor from denmark. a 4 time gold medal winner in the olympics. he won many class championships.
1697855602213.png
wrote books on how to win, and sold sailing gear it seems. i read his racing book back in the sixties.

one of the greats. he sailed in eight olympics. was a really nice guy as well, very well liked

you have a real piece of history! ....... well maybe

boom vangs were his idea. imagine being on the race course and your the only one using a boom vang. controling your twist is a winner.

i have elvstrom self bailors in the Ascow. his design

Last edited: