Speaking of Rudders - bearings on H376?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 20, 2005
Whitby 55 Kemah, Tx
Are there rudder shaft bearings on the 1996 H376? The rudder shaft is fiberglassed in all the way from the hull to the quadrant at the tip of the shaft. I've been told there is no maintanence required but others tell me that it has to have bearings in there. If so, how are they replace when they go bad? How soon do you think they should be replaced?

ghen

Mar 15, 2009
2 216 St. Augustine
Franklin,

I wasn't at Hunter in 1996 but I am pretty sure it utilizes a UHMW plastic bearing. UHMW has great wear resistance. Unless you have too much slop in the bearings, they shouldn't need replaced. It last a very long time. We have used that since I have been at Hunter in 1999.

Jul 20, 2005
Whitby 55 Kemah, Tx
very long time is relative. I am 40 for the next 4 days, so I figure I have another 25-30 years on this boat. Think the UHMW will wear out during that time?

ghen

Mar 15, 2009
2 216 St. Augustine
The bearings likely will not wear out if you get out only on weekends. If you have a mid life crisis and take off cruising you may need to check them over. You have a lot of time left to enjoy!

Jul 20, 2005
Whitby 55 Kemah, Tx
I guess you haven't heard I plan on taking my H376 around the world in two years :)

Thank you for all your answers Glenn. It's always good to hear from a Hunter designer.

Dec 2, 2003
Hunter 376 Warsash, England --
Hi Franklin,
Not wishing to steal Glenn's thunder but herewith some info which may be of use:-
1) Jim Bohart (of Hunters) once gave an interview with CWBB (Cruising World Mag?) in which he outlined Hunter's processes. The item below is an extract from this interview in which he notes that the wound stock is more than 50% stronger than the steel version and there is no stainless inside to suffer crevice corrosion or fatigue. He told me they destroyed their rig whilst testing it.
I do not know when this was published but I believe that at some time rudders were put out to 'Fosse' - maybe they still are?

The philosophy of making the stock so much stronger raises two issues. First should it hit something which is immovable and which missed the keel then the stock would break off rather than just bend. Of course the boat wouldn't leak but there would be no steering nor any hope of it. A bent steel stock would still mean no steering but also possibly no way of making the boat go straight either. Yer pays yer money and yer takes yer chance.

The second issue is if the stock was so strong it took the ass end out of the boat!

2) I just scanned a faded yellowing fax I was sent in 1998 when I was asking the same questions. If the .jpg compression needed to put it up on this site causes too much loss of detail please e-mail me and I will send you the full file which is 1.5 Mb.

3) For info the rudder stock is 6" diameter at the lower bearing and either 3" or 4" dia at the top. The bearings in the rudder tube are UHMW (Ultra High Molecular Weight Polythene) which is an excellent low friction non-water absorbing material and the stock has stainless tubes bonded on as journals. The bearing area is enormous as compared to 2" dia stainless, so they should last several lifetimes - yours plus mine!

Because the stock extends so far into the rudder, and is so large in diameter, there is plenty of material to make a bond to the rudder half shells. I would not expect this to fail and, there being no metal, it will not rot either.

BTW; You need a loose fitting 6" ID collar slid on the stock between top of rudder and small skeg on hull to stop the rudder from floating up and jamming against the skeg.
My collar was too short and I replaced it with a 1/2" length of uPVC sewer pipe. I sawed across this at one point to be able to open it up and clip it on the stock and it now has a 6" dia jubilee clip as a retainer.
Q & A with Jim Bohart, Hunter Marine - continued (3)

We make our rudders and rudderposts on site. The rudder skins are made with bi-axial stitched glass and vinylester resin. The tubes are made of a series of uni-directionals wrapped around a Mylar skinned balloon bolted into a mold and compressed with low pressure air till cured, (the Mylar wrap eases removal of the balloon). The post is then glassed into the rudder to a depth of 3/4s of the depth of the blade and all voids are filled with urethane foam. Destructive testing on a 40.5 rudder and compared to a 1/4" dia. 4" stainless post and ss webbed blade accomplished some interesting results. The blades were placed in a jig bolted to the floor and brought under strain with a winch connected through a 4" hole in the lower part of the blades, a load cell placed in line recorded the results: at around 6000psi the frp and stainless structure collapsed. At over 9000 psi the jig containing the composite structure collapsed, The composite structure survived the test. We've been using this system for the past 5 years and the rudders have proven to be lighter stronger and non-corrosive. We tested them in Charter fleets prior to introduction in the general market.

Attachments

Oct 29, 2005
Hunter Marine 326 303 Singapore
Donalex,
I've the H326. The 2nd time I ran aground (start of a habit), it bent my keel-wing (again) and broke the rudder post at deck (luckily not at hull below WL). Actually, the boat got lifted up by wave and deposited on a submerged breakwater vertically with a thud. That drove the rudder up the hull but the rudder didn't get jam and I'm still able to steer. When I remove the rudder, found very liittle damage on it, just the broke deck holding the post top. There's no 6" ID collar slid on the stock between top of rudder and small skeg on hull.

ghen

Mar 15, 2009
2 216 St. Augustine
Donolex,

No thunder stolen. Good insight you have on rudder concepts. I can sum up with, composite or metal (we use aquamet) both are excellent if designed and built correctly. A short note on aquamet, it is much more expensive but it is delivered within very close tolerances so matching bearing I.D.'s is very simple. Aquamet is drastically higher in tensile strength and modulus of elasticity.

Status
Not open for further replies.