So It Begins: Deck Recoring Project

May 30, 2006
Oday 34 Chesapeake Bay
Why do you need a bottom layer, isn’t it still part of the deck?
Yes, the bottom layer on my sample was just to get a sense of the complete laminate. I was careful not to penetrate the bottom layer on the boat when I removed the plug and ended up leaving a bit of the original balsa core and mesh behind which is why the plug looks a bit narrower than the sample I created. The sample also doesn't have the fairing, paint and non-skid layers.

May 30, 2006
Oday 34 Chesapeake Bay
Slow but sure progress.

Balsa and coosa cores epoxied in place and gaps filled with thickened epoxy. Didn't take any pics of the laying the fiberglass was quite busy to stay ahead of the gel time. Fortunately, I had an epoxy mixologist keeping me supplied. I ended up with 6 total layers of 1708. In order maintain camber from the inside to outside edges, I used 5 layers at a starting width of 1 1/2" incrementing at 1 inch to 5 1/2". The last layer is 6 1/2" which is feathered to the existing glass.
Gonna be slow work if I have to do that for the entire deck, it pretty much doubles the amount of 1708, epoxy and time.

IMG_6815.JPEG

This next pic is after much sanding and two fairing layers (TotalFair) and more sanding. Taped and ready for primer (AwlGrip 545).

IMG_6932_a.JPEG

In all transparency, I did mix a batch of the primer, but stupid, stupid didn't stir the primer base to get the solids off the bottom. Fortunately I only mixed a total of 4 oz. (2 of "unmixed" base and 2 of the converter).

Question: The primer pour was from quart cans, in order to make up for the lost 2 oz from the base should I add a bit more reducer to the mix to make up for the loss or just press on? I'm rolling and brushing if that matters.