Smoking St. Louis Ribs

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Anyone have a recipe for the rub? What do you use for sauce? I have made traditional Texas, Kansas City, North Carolina, and 'Espresso' BBQ sauces, but don't have a St. Louis recipe for that, either. Thanks.

Jun 12, 2021
Hunter 240 Aqualand Marina, Lake Lanier
I use salt, pepper, and paprika. I pull the membrane off the back and put them on the Big Green Egg for 6 to 8 hours at under 200 degrees, using the ceramic pizza stone to deflect the heat. I use various store bought sauces after they are done. I am particularly parting to G. Hughs BBQ Sauces. They are all sugar free.
If I am in a hurry I will seal them in foil with beer and steam them for an hour or so at 300 degrees and them unwrap them and grill them over the coals a bit. My wife likes Baby Back ribs better. Mostly I do Pork Butts (shoulder roast).

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
I use salt, pepper, and paprika. I pull the membrane off the back and put them on the Big Green Egg for 6 to 8 hours at under 200 degrees, using the ceramic pizza stone to deflect the heat. I use various store bought sauces after they are done. I am particularly parting to G. Hughs BBQ Sauces. They are all sugar free.
If I am in a hurry I will seal them in foil with beer and steam them for an hour or so at 300 degrees and them unwrap them and grill them over the coals a bit. My wife likes Baby Back ribs better. Mostly I do Pork Butts (shoulder roast).
Thanks. Yea, I like making my own sauces - far superior to what I have purchased previously, and I can control the ingredients, of course. I bought jars and lids and can "can" them, so they are preserved. The original Texas was the family favorite, so far.

I want to try St. Louis. I've had baby back many times.

I have a couple of Cookshack electric smokers, and when I next use one I'll do the ribs, a pastrami, and a chicken, and throw in a pan of cornbread at the end. Might even smoke the mac-n-cheese. :)

• Helpful
Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I need to get one of those eggs.... I keep looking for them on offer up and FB market place.