Skimmar Sea Dog 9.5' circa 1960 found

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 21, 2013
Sea Dog 9.5' Trailer boat
My teenaged grandson found a small fiberglass sailboat hull near his home here in Michigan, alongside the road with a the words, "free" painted on the side of it! He talked to the owner at this house and he just wanted to get rid of it; it was only used on a small pond on their farm by their kids years ago. Questions about it, was that he had owned it for many years, and that his son sold the metal mast for scrap, but he still had the sail for it and asked if I want it, I could have it as well, which he gladly excepted.

The hull has a metal tag on the stern with the words "Skimmar", along with passenger weight and outboard motor size. The hull is painted white, and the front of the hull has red flames painted on it that appear to be original.

A search on the Internet, found a PDF file with a clue about it: http://noeticharbor.com/wfa/docs/SeaDogFlyer.pdf Hull length is 9.5' long, circa 1960, and a updated version of it appears to be made today! They show a photo on this PDF of the boat that he has sailing with the new boats.

My grandson would like to restore this boat and take it sailing. Having the sail, he/we could fabricate the mast/boom, dagger board and rudder, all that is missing. The two seats are in good condition, just need to be refinished. It has oarlocks, and the brackets on the stern for the rudder.

We are wondering, if any readers could possibly give us some detailed information on this boat, i.e., photos, specifications of mast/boom size/length, sail attachment, templates/size of dagger board and rudder/tiller and such?

All information or suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Grandpa Karl

Status
Not open for further replies.