Shaft Diameter, T3800

Dec 1, 2023
Tartan 3800 Lake City
I bought a Tartan 3800 (named Sanguine) 1998, deep keel. I need to replace the prop but need to know the shaft size (it has the Yanmar 38HP diesel). Does anyone happen to know?

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Wow, there aren't a lot of threads in this forum, and one is called "T3800 Prop Shaft Diameter?

Note that it could differ - these were pretty much custom made. What hull number, and what engine and gear have you?

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
WELCOME TO SBO.
The simplest and most accurate method to "KNOW" the diameter of your shaft is to measure it.
An inexpensive caliper can do the trick.

1701477104835.png
Available from AMAZON or your local box store.

Why consider measuring the shaft rather than rely on someone to tell you a size? Well your boat (even though it is the same original make) may have had a previous owner. Said owner felt the shaft provided by the manufacture was wimpy and "up graded" the shaft before the boat was sold to you. For something as important as your new prop, measuring the actual shaft is just best practice.

Along with the shaft diameter, the prop shop, will want to know the details about your engine. What is your cruising RPM? What is WOT (wide open throttle) RPM? Plus there is your transmission data like the gear ratio. Finally the distance from the shaft to the bottom of your boat as well as the configuration of the boat bottom (i.e. do you have a rudder skeg or is your prop in a captured set up)? All these little things become important to getting the best prop for optimum performance on your boat.

Find a good prop shop. They will be a valuable resource. Be prepared to share the type of sailing you plan with your boat.

Good luck!

Aug 8, 2023
Tartan 3800 Beaufort, NC - Currently
I bought a Tartan 3800 (named Sanguine) 1998, deep keel. I need to replace the prop but need to know the shaft size (it has the Yanmar 38HP diesel). Does anyone happen to know?
Hull #37 here, built in 98. Our shaft was 1 1/8. We just put a 15" 3 blade Maxprop on her last year. Could have went with a 16", looking back. There are at least 2 if not 3 different transmissions for these 3JH2E engines so shaft size could vary a bit. I'd definately pickup a caliper to make sure. The new prop went on very snug initially. Hope that helps.

• Helpful

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Randy, that was a helpful response. As I have learned, with all things boat, it is helpful to learn others experience. It is imperative to inspect your own boat to verify if it is different. Unlike cars, boats can look similar yet under inspection one discovers they are not identical.