Self tacking jib

Apr 20, 2024
Catalina Catalina 25 Whittier
I have what I believe is a self taking jib setup on my Catalina 25. There’s a long track running side to side closer to the mast. Then there’s a u-bolt, I’m assuming to attach a block. Then I have this track, that’s where I’m stumped. Was the original owner attaching a whisker pole/boom to the track? Why is it a track and not a fixed point? I’m honestly considering removing it all as I don’t use it and wouldn’t mind a cleaner deck and fewer holes that can eventually leak. However, I’m not sure if that’s even what I’m looking at so I am hesitant to take it off.
IMG_7972.jpeg
IMG_7974.jpeg

BarryL

May 21, 2004
Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 409 Mt. Sinai, NY
Hey,

The one track is definitely for a self tending jib. I don't know what other other track is for, maybe for a babystay but I don't know why a C25 would need a babystay. I say remove it. My boat came with a track for a self tending jib. I removed the track because I never used the sail and I used to stub my toe on the track all the time.

Barry

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
The fore and aft track could be for a baby stay but then you would need some way to pull the car forward, once the stay is attached, to tension the stay. Is there a fitting on the mast for an inner stay? It may be that a previous owner set up a self tacking staysail on an inner stay but that would be a very small sail on a Catalina 25. If you have the jib that fits the track it may be interesting to try it out. If you don't have the sail, and don't think it would be useful, then you could remove the tracks.

Apr 20, 2024
Catalina Catalina 25 Whittier
I didn’t know about baby stays, so that’s a good thought. There are no fittings that I can see on the mast. With how far forward the track is I imagine a baby stay would really get in the way of the jib.
Stay sail is another interesting idea, I have a roller furling Genoa on the boat, it also came with a hank on Jib. Maybe a previous owner was sailing with both? The jib would be big for that set up. I imagine I’m lacking a few clues/clews to solve the mystery. I’ll probably just remove them to save my toes from tripping over them.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Self tacking jibs are kind of nice for solo sailing in tight waters like rivers etc. I'd try it once before pulling the trigger on removing it.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
The self tacking jib is an idea, except that the picture makes the transverse track in front of the mast appear asymmetric. The track is more on the starboard side of the boat. A track for a self tacking jib would be symmetrical. Equidistant port/starboard so that the jib functions properly. No conclusion for purpose at this time.

The forward track might be for a sprit pole. Problem is I do not see an attachment at the bow to support the pole.

Baby stays are used to stop the mast from pumping. They are most often found attached port & starboard aft of the mast.

The mystery continues. It is evident that you have a lot of snow present in the images. :yikes:

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
The athwartship track with the car is most likely for a self-tending jib. It does appear to be centered on the boat. There should be a block on the car and leads to run the sheets.

The padeye (proper name for the "U-bolt") is for a spinnaker pole down haul. The pole downhaul is typically rigged with bridles on top and below. This places the down haul about mid way between the stem and the mast (the J dimension). There is a cheek block on the starboard deck for the downhaul to run back to the cockpit.

If I were to hazard a guess about the forward track, it was an expensive experiment to alter the location of the downhaul. I'm not certain that moving the downhaul block would do much for sail trim.

In the end we may have to just leave this as another mystery from a prior owner. The phrase, "what was he thinking?" comes to mind.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
The fore-and-aft track is odd. The two turning blocks on the port-side stantions may work with it to move the car that's missing. Perhapse for something like a spinnaker.

The babystay idea to introduce mast bend, but that would negate the self-tacking jib.

The other track is definitely for a self-tacking jib sheet.

I can't think what the fore-and-aft movement would be an advantage for. Maybe even a whisker pole? But the padeye should work for that just fine.

-Will

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
The track is used to tension the inner stay, depending on the location. If it is for a stay sail, the fitting will be near the top (otherwise you bend the mast when you crank up the tension to limit stay sag). If it is for a baby stay it will be farther down and the purpose is to induce bend. Unusual, but not at all weird. The purpose will be given by the location of the mast fitting. Probably for a baby stay, but could be either.

Is it needed? That is a different question. It may have been added by a racer as a tweak. I would NOT be in a hurry to remove what is likely well thought out hardware you just don't yet understand. Some PO changes are dumb, but sometimes they were smart guys and it takes years to understand why they did something. Be patient.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
The image provided by @thinwater provides a clean/clear look at the rig. Definitely as described.

Not sure the rig on the images of the Catalina 25 are the same.

Mar 26, 2011
The image provided by @thinwater provides a clean/clear look at the rig. Definitely as described.

Not sure the rig on the images of the Catalina 25 are the same.
Very true. I suspect a DIY or local rigger installation based on the same idea. It requires a good close look at the rest of the hardware to figure it out. It just seemed like the most rational explanation. Towing the car forward on the track provides a high-purchase means of tightening under load.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Thinwater's setup doesn't look friendly to a self-tacking jib. For me, that's the odd part.

-Will

Mar 26, 2011
Thinwater's setup doesn't look friendly to a self-tacking jib. For me, that's the odd part.

-Will
That is a puzzle. I would guess they weren't used at the same time? Makes sense, in a way, because you would not race that boat with a self-tacking jib.