Sail Trim on 2004 Hunter (33)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 3, 2004
Hunter 33 Santa Barbara
I went from a Catalina 30 (head sail driven) to a 2004 Hunter 33, which is apparently mainsail driven, as I understand it.

I notice a difference in how the main is trimmed on a close reach. On the Catalina I could trim the main on the center line for speed - but with the hunter, trimming the main on the centerline does not give me the best speed. Normally, the main has to be eased some for best speed. All of these assume that the jib is correctly trimmed.

Is this normal? i.e., am I doing something wrong??

Michael

ghen

Mar 15, 2009
2 216 St. Augustine
Michael,

It is generally accepted that fractional rigs are less forgiving that masthead sailplans regarding trim. Sometimes the fraction rig is trimmed with traveller to the windward. Once you get used to a fractional rig, it endears itself to you. Think of it. The first effort of reefing is a reef in the main. That is easier than changing jibs. I have a hard time accepting furling up a jib as a reef. There are several good books and also pro advice on this website dealing with fractional rigs. It would help to study the entire concept rather than getting bits and pieces of advice. Once you get the idea it will reward you.

Status
Not open for further replies.