Rudder slack

Oct 27, 2023
hunter 290 toronto
Hi survey pointed this out and wonder if anyone has had this and if any fix needed..H290
thanks
Colin
There was an approximately 1⁄2" gap between the top of the rudder blade and the bottom of the skeg. Rudder was aligned with the keel.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
There was an approximately 1⁄2" gap between the top of the rudder blade and the bottom of the skeg.
I'd ask for an explanation as I think he was referring to something else with the rudder. Below is the bottom of our '99 H-310.

1700335112822.png

1700335202338.png

1700335398554.png

Anything closer and it would risk scraping the hull.

Are you sure you have a skeg in there ? Never seen one on a Hunter.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Hi Colin.
You use the term “Rudder Slack” and it is associated with the “Survey” you have completed.

Piecing this together, could the survey be referring to rudder slop?

It is a term that refers to the time it takes for the rudder to actually move from the time that you initiate a rudder control movement. This often occurs with rudders controlled by a wheel in the cockpit. The cable or chain that transfers wheel movement to the rudder is “slack”. This translates to sloppy rudder control. Your fix is to inspect the control system and make adjustments to the cables as necessary. Also check that there is no damage to the control fixtures (the quadrant and blocks used to support the cables. They should all be sound (solidly affixed to the boat).

There is another possibility. You may want to have the surveyor clearly identify what he means by the language used. This second possibility could be that the rudder post bearings are worn, or that the internal structure of the rudder is compromised and the rudder post is loose inside the rudder shell.

These latter two possibilities are of greater concern and are also less likely.

Mar 27, 2021
Hunter 306 Lake Pepin

Are you sure you have a skeg in there ? Never seen one on a Hunter.
The 306 is almost identical to the 290 and has a little demi-skeg as shown below.

There’s also just enough of a gap, maybe 1/4”, to let the winter cover tie-downs slip by. But 1/2”? I don’t think so.

Incidently, you might notice just behind the front tie-down on the skeg, there is a little defect in the fiberglass that had weakened and collapsed. This will be the second one I’ve found on the skeg in the three years I’ve owned the boat. So that’s fun.

IMG_4140.jpegIMG_4080.jpeg

Oct 27, 2023
hunter 290 toronto
Thanks everyone. the surveyor said it could be a bushing. On another forum there is a thread about removing the rudder and replacing the bushing. Just wonder if anyone with a 290 or 306 has had this. On the hard we can move the rudder up vertically by about 1/2 inch......
thanks again
Colin

Attachments

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Thanks everyone. the surveyor said it could be a bushing. On another forum there is a thread about removing the rudder and replacing the bushing. Just wonder if anyone with a 290 or 306 has had this. On the hard we can move the rudder up vertically by about 1/2 inch......
thanks again
Colin
Bad photo, but it looks like the rudder has dropped down some. What does it look like on the shaft inside?

any evidence that it has moved down?

a bearing would give you lateral movement I would think.

Greg

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
If you love the boat, get a quote to fix that and ask the seller to take it off the asking price.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
It just doesn’t look right to me.

I don’t understand what this area was supposed to match up with…it is almost like the rudder wasn’t made for this boat.

IMG_2776.jpeg

On my O’Day 322, the rudder matches up to the small skeg, and the parts fit together without big gaps.

IMG_1866.jpeg

Probably need to have a reputable boat yard look closely at this and offer suggestions.

Greg

Oct 27, 2023
hunter 290 toronto
looks like there is about 1/2 in of space between bottom or steering arm controll and top of rudder port. Surveyor recommended putting a spacer there. Not sure where to get one other than getting a bushing and cutting it down.. Western Lake Ontario Canada based ..
thks
Colin.

Attachments