Rudder crack

mbefus

Apr 21, 2024
S2 11.0A Muskegon, Michigan
Hello everybody. Brand new S2 owner here. Picked up an ‘81 11.0A at the end of last season and got in a little bit of sailing before season end.

I’ve got a small crack starting on the rudder and I’d like to tackle the repair myself, but wondering if that’s advisable as I’m not sure how deep the damage goes. I was hoping perhaps others who have done the same repair might be able to advise. I should also add, I’m new to larger keelboats and new to working on fiberglass, so appreciate any advice you can give
IMG_4994.png

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I'm surprised there hasn't been more response. I suspect a lot of members are engaged in preparing their own boats for launch.
The location of the crack is more disturbing than the crack itself. That being the area where the internal flag of metal structure is welded to the rudder post. That weld may have failed. While that is repairable it very likely eat well into your season - especially if you are new to that kind of work.
In addition the foam inside the rudder is most likely wet. That is normally dealt with by removing the skin on one side of the rudder, inspecting/replacing the foam, and re-glassing over the repair. Search the archives for details and pictures.
I would be looking at buying a new rudder. It will be an expense (A big one) but it will the fastest way to get the season going. I would not be comfortable sailing the boat with the rudder in that condition.
Foss Foam made a lot of rudders for the sailing industry.

dmax

Jul 29, 2018
O'Day 35 Buzzards Bay
Yes - first thing would be to get the rudder off the boat to make it easier to work on and then cut out the skin around the crack to see what you're up against. Check out this video for a complete rebuild of a rudder:

mbefus

Apr 21, 2024
S2 11.0A Muskegon, Michigan
Thanks for the response! I reached out to Foss for an estimate. Meanwhile I’m gonna get it off and see what I find. I’m definitely caught between wanting to learn this and getting the boat in the water.

dmax

Jul 29, 2018
O'Day 35 Buzzards Bay
I have bought two rudders from Foss, great people and reasonable pricing. Good luck.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I have a different boat (O’Day 322) but my rudder had some cracks in the edges. I ground out the fiberglass, no water came out, so I re-fiberglassed the edges And painted it.
IMG_1866.jpeg

This spring, I did a little more sanding to smooth out the glass job On the trailing edge.

It looks better now.

Greg