Rowing a 22

Mar 2, 2018
Catalina Wing Keel San Diego
Rowing a Catalina 22
Does anyone have experience with adding a set of oars to a 22 ?
What lenth ?
What oar locks?

Thanks

AaronD

Aug 10, 2014
Catalina 22 9874 Newberg, OR / Olympia, WA
Rowing a Catalina 22
Does anyone have experience with adding a set of oars to a 22 ?
What lenth ?
What oar locks?

Thanks
No personal experience. I've seen pictures of a setup with oarlocks that dropped over or attached to the winches (easily removable the rest of the time). I can't recall if it was a C-22 or another boat of similar size. You might look for pictures from the early runs of the Race to Alaska - most competitors use pedal power now when the wind dies, but I believe there have been a few row + sail setups. Maybe that's where I saw the winch-mount oarlocks.

For ourselves, we just carry a couple lengthy paddleboard paddles in case we ever lose all other forms of propulsion; one crew member straddling each gunwale and paddling (we have the benefit of enough crew to trade off paddling and steering...)

Apr 8, 2011
Hunter 40 Deale, MD
FYI here's an article on a guy in Canada who did exactly what you're intending, and you can see a photo of the winch mounted oarlocks. He mentions the company he received them from in the article, though its questionable they still make that accessory, but you could ask:

100R — oars

Site for the company that made the oars and oarlocks in the article:
Barkley Sound Oar and Paddle Ltd. (wordpress.com)

Good luck!

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
A guy in my area had a pair of sweeps, long heavy oars, that he set up in the cockpit. He could steer with the tiller between his knees, facing forward of course, while he slowly worked the sweeps to manuever in and out of the basin after dropping his sails in a more open area. Never really talked to him so I can't tell you if he used the sweeps for anything more than that. The boat was about 30 ft. long. As far as the oar size, the ones he used were at least 10 ft. long and heavy, solid wood. So I'm not sure how a super light SUP paddle would fare moving a keel boat.
The Royal Navy normally carried sweeps as aux power on smaller 5th rates (frigates) , 6th rates, sloops, and unrated ships of war.
Good luck. I think I'd just save my money and get a small 2-3 hp kicker to get me out to the big water.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
A couple correctly sized nuts welded to the oarlock's peg might work.