Restoring 1974 Catalina 22

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Steve

I am considering the purchase of a 1974 Catalina swing keel. I'm hoping someone can tell me where i may find some literature on restoring such a boat. The hull and main rigging appear to be in good shape. However as the boat has not been sailed much in the last 18 months it is extremely dirty and in need of a lot of cosmetic work The only major issue I can see so far is that thr lead swing keel cable is broke. I've been told that there is a company that produces info. on repairing catalina's. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

E

Erik

Catalina 22 resources

Check out the Cat 22 Nat'l Assn's website at www.catalina22.org The business 'Catalina Direct', in Sacramento, CA is also a large supporter of Cat 22 stuff: www.catalinadirect.com

M

Matt

Be prepared (I could write a book on the subject)

First, the catalog you need is from Catalinadirect.com. You will need to replace the standing rig if it is more than 8-10 years old (I would replace it anyway). Forget about what you can see, it's what you can't see that is important. $320 will buy the kit from Catalinadirect. Add a new backstay for $70. Might as well replace the running rigging while you're at it. If it has been exposed to the elements over the last 18 month like the boat, it is probably ready to fail as well. Add another $200 +/-. What about the sails? Have they been stored properly over the period of time the boat has been dry sailing? You should really inspect the sails closely. How old are they? If you need new sails, you may luck up and find some used ($500 for a decent set). If you buy new, an off brand will put you back $1000 for a main and a 135%. A set of Norths will be around $2000. The part that almost made me give up: Electrical system (some of the earlier boats were not wired to my understanding)... Pull the panel out and look at the circuits. Are they corroded? Probably if it is the original panel. Reletively inexpensive at $35 to replace, but you will have to make the cut-out a little larger. Running and masthead lights. Do they work? You may want to replace them anyway. $75 +/- depending on the brand. Wiring...this could be trouble...mine was. If wired, strip an end that can be reconnected to check for corrosion (does it fall apart if you twist the ends?). If it is corroded, it needs to be replaced. A 14 gauge marine grade duplex wire is a couple of dollars or more per foot. You will need about 50-75 feet. Add a new battery to the list. Not sure about the keel cable, I have a fixed keel. You more than likely will need to replace other parts of the swing mechanism if the cable is gone. How are the wenches? Do the blocks need replacing? Check the mast and spreaders. Also check the masthead sheaves, they are probably cracked (not expensive). How is the bottom? Blisters? Need new paint? This can easily get to be $500+. My only other advice is to consider whether or not you are willing to devote the time needed to undertake a restoration and will it cost more to restore the boat than to find one in good condition.

R

Ron Hicks

easy/ cheap hull cleaning

The cat22 that I am working on now sounds like it was in similar condition when I got it. About the dirty hull, my boat repairrman taught me an easy trick. Mine had been sitting under pine trees and was covered in black gummy residue. He said to use a small garden sprayer and spray full strength clorox onto in, let it sit a couple of minutes, then hose it off with a water hose. I tried it and it worked like a charm. Total cost to bring the boat back to a shiny white: less than $2.

R

Ron Hicks

wanna buy mine?

it's a 1978 model and I've already revarnished the wood and did the serious cleaning. I'll sell it for $1500.

D

Dave Harris

write me Ron Hicks

Ron, I might be interested in your boat. I live about 2 hours from you. Write me at dhchessies@weblnk.net

Status
Not open for further replies.