Rainwater in bilge

Sep 18, 2019
Catalina 34MKII Bainbridge Island, WA
Hi All,
My 2005 Catalina 34 mkII gets rainwater in the bilge when it rains steady over a few days. The water will build up high enough to trigger the bilge pump. The water comes in from the aft end of the bilge, but I can't remove the floor to chase it upstream due to the uniform fiberglass construction. I've tried to locate the entry point by hosing the topsides in dry weather, but that doesn't reproduce the leak. It must be a relatively small opening somewhere, because the bilge stays dry under light and sporadic rain. Anyone with the same problem, or any other forensic ideas?

May 1, 2011
Pearson 37 Lusby MD
It's been recommended to use a leaf blower to "pressurize" the cabin, then use soapy water and a brush to look for locations with leaks.

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
Well if you had a keel stepped mast you'd be close friends with rain water...That aside, check the bedding of the stern rail mount flanges...

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 1999 C36 MKII #1787 Coyote Point Marina, CA.
I had a similar condition. It took me 2 years to find out that the speakers mounted on the rear lazzare had torne baffles due to UV damage and it let the water in. Replacing them stopped the water in the bilge.

Sep 18, 2019
It's been recommended to use a leaf blower to "pressurize" the cabin, then use soapy water and a brush to look for locations with leaks.
Wow. Sounds like a procedure...would need to visqueen and tape the companionway etc to maintain the pressure. Thanks for the tip.

Sep 18, 2019
Well if you had a keel stepped mast you'd be close friends with rain water...That aside, check the bedding of the stern rail mount flanges...
Yeah, I checked the mast support which terminates at the bilge, but that's dry. I'll check the stern rail mounts. Thanks for the tip!

Sep 18, 2019
I had a similar condition. It took me 2 years to find out that the speakers mounted on the rear lazzare had torne baffles due to UV damage and it let the water in. Replacing them stopped the water in the bilge.
No speakers on mine. This is year-2 for me too, so maybe I'll get lucky.