Picking an insurance carrier

• Thread starter Myrna from Washington
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Myrna from Washington

Again, while waiting for our boat we have been reviewing insurance policies and companies. We live in the Pacific NW and have three that seem fairly similar in their policies and price. My question to you is what your experience is with any of the following companies: Anchor Marine out Seattle; Boat Insurance Agency out of Seattle; and Scott Richards Insurance out of Anacortes. Good things? Not so good things? Thanks for sharing!

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
Try Acordia Pettit Morry

They're in Seattle and handle quite a lot of boat insurnace, including liveaboard policies. I've never filed a claim with themm so can't speak to that, but their service has always been first rate. As for underwriters, I think that only a claim experience can tell the story, and I don't have one. We're working on an insurance moderator in the August or September Guest Forum, but I fear that will be too late for your needs.

B

Bill Sheehy

Liveaboard

If you are going to be living on your boat Acordia Pettit Morry has the only lieaboard policy. I had a boat fire last year and I learned alot about boat insurance. My problem was that I was under insured for quite a bit of money. The personal property was under my home owners and they wanted to only pay for 10% of the home policy. We had been staying on the boat while we worked on the house. A few years before I had asked about getting money insurance but was told I didn't need it. if you have a boat thats not worth very much then don't worry about it but if you have a boat that you have spent alot of money on make sure you are covered for any problems. Also watch out for space heaters.

G

Gene Foraker

Insurance Carrier

As a midwest insurance agent, maybe I can help a little. You name several agents/brokers. What companies are they offering to represent?

M

Myrna from Washington

Response to Gene Foraker

Hi and thanks for all the responses. It looks like GRE$/Albany Ins. (Sterling Policy) and now that I look at it there is a quote for the same ins from two different brokers. The other one is from Zurich. Thanks! Myrna

E

Ernie A

Boat/US is good for several reasons

I don't know about other companies, but Boat/US has special teams that get involved on-site in salvage situations. Other than outright loss, this is probably the most critical and potentially most expensive situation and the one that concerns me most. I've only heard good things about the Boat/US policy. Fortunately, I haven't put them to the test. Ernie April

G

Gene Foraker

Myna- those sound like fine companies

I don't know their policies specificaly. The things to avoid are often, but not always from the same company to insure your car. These are often "trailer boat" policies which lack a number of coverages you may need. My best advice is to buy from someone who knows boats. Either from an agent who owns a good size boat or from Boat US ( I have heard good and bad about them, but mostly good.) Unlike most other insurance policies, there is no standard policy. Each company writes its own policy with their own coverages, exclusions and endorsements, (Sometimes written by people who have no idea what they are doing.) Ask around, a regional agent or broker who specializes in yacht coverage should have access to several good policies. If you plan to live aboard, cruise offshore, or have a wooden boat, your choices might be more limited. Gene

Status
Not open for further replies.