Next Tuesday or Wednesday....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 2, 2006
Hunter 170 Kentucky
Hmmm....extended forcast shows next Tuesday to have a high of 74 and 8 knot winds out of the south south west. Might just be my first sail of the season. Of course these extended forcasts are not very accurate, but I can hold out hope. Yeah, I feel a sick day comming on now :)

Tereza

Jun 10, 2005
Hunter 146 Candlewood Lake, CT
Still snowing here

And our lake is still about 50% ice... Think of us while you're out there!

Mar 8, 2005
Hunter 170 Ventura, California
Sunny Calif and 75 +

Although we are having warm sunny days, we have not been able to get out do to high winds. the Pacific cost out of Ventura has been a sea of white foam and our costal palm trees taking a beating but still, now ice ! Tereza, Dawn and I had fish and chips at Andres and were thinking about how you guys were doing back there. California dreaming :) Glenn

K

Karl

SSSShhhhhh

Glen, don't tell them! The freeways are bad enough already. But if the weather stays like this, it is off to Catalina this weekend.

D

Dale

Sundays the Day

Yep Ill be out sunday nice little pond just getting to know her again! 60 with a 10 mph wind not much but the water is still COLD.

Tereza

Jun 10, 2005
Hunter 146 Candlewood Lake, CT
Mmm mmm...fish 'n' chips!!

Don't worry Karl...a few nice outings each year or so with some great sailors like Glenn and his buddies is enough for us diehard yanks... This week is supposed to be up in the 50's out here - that means shorts and flip flops!! ;) Glenn - I hope those winds finally cooperate - let us know about your first perfect ail this season. Greetings to all of you!

Oct 2, 2006
Hunter 170 Kentucky
Really torn.

All, Well, looking at the forcast for tomorrow shows KY Lake having a air temp of 76 and 11 knots of wind from the South. The only problem is that the water temp is still just 49. Since this is my first outing with the 170 I am feeling a bit shaky about going out with the water so cold. Any thoughts from you all on the safety aspect?

J

Jeff

Dry suit

Wear a drysuit. That is what I do when we start racing season up here in early May. Lake Michigan is still only just above 40 degrees. Death in ten minutes if you are not protected. Don't go alone for sure. You will be unable to pull yourself on board in less than five minutes at 49 degrees.

Mar 8, 2005
Going out this Friday 03.16.07

Tim, if you are having any second thoughts for what ever reason, dont go. first off, your some what new to the 170, I don't know if you have foamed or sealed your mast yet or not, if you have not, most likely, if you capzie you will not be able to right the boat. but that would be the least of your problems..."death in ten minutes "........there will be warmer days ahead, make the most of them. Tereza, thanks for the kind words........I'm taking Friday off to go sailing out of Ventura, Brian will be sailing with me on the 170. 90 + degrees this last week hope the winds stay down a bit. Happy Saint Patties day to you all Glenn

Oct 2, 2006
Hunter 170 Kentucky
Better days are coming....

Glen, I had come to the same conclusion as you. The water is still cold, I don't yet have a wet suit, my mast is not fomed and more importantly: this is a new boat to me, I don't know how it will react. So in short, I decided not to go and instead spent a beautiful day at work inside my windowless cube. BUT there will be warmer days to come when the water is not so hostile. Thanks to everyone on the posts. Tim

Mar 8, 2005
work on your boat !

Tim, I know the disapointment of having a new boat and not being able to get on the water soon enough, however, there are things you could being doing if you are having pleasnt weather to do so. I would take the opportunity now to seal the mast, not hard to do, does'nt cost much(less than $20.00), can be done in a couple hours and you will have some satifaction as to be doing something with your boat which will pay off the first time you capsize (which is part of small boat sailing) Lets don't forget about the trailer, I'm going to be pulling my hubs off to inspect and repact the bearings (yearly)some time between now and April. this too is not that hard to do and if you have ever had a wheel bearing let go while you were on the road, it can ruin the whole day.(it doesnt hurt to care a spare hub and bearings) I always have problems with my trailer lights, I know I have them to work on as well. my Honda 2hp needs to be check too.... and finaly, if there is such a thing, what about a good coat of polish / wax to bring the white haul to a sparkl like it was brand new. Glenn

T

TimHayes

All Planned...

Glen, I purchased the foam last weekend and will be foaming the mast this weekend I hope. The bearings were repacked at the end of last season so all that remains is the mast and a good coat of wax. On the good side, the 170 has NO teak!!! I always hated dealing with teak. What brand silicone did you use to seal your mast? Tim

D

Dale

Sunday

Yep went Sunday got a slight sunburn, had a blast, took a couple of newbies with me, everything went well 11 mph wind all the sails worked great just like they suppose to!

Mar 8, 2005
Silicone

Tim, I got it from home depot and didnt pay attention as to the brand, probably the cheapest !..........I think they are all about the same. even the clear after a year or so turns to a dirty brown color. I dont worry about it, too small to notice it. Sounds like you got a good start for this season , bearings all packed and ready, I don't know how far you tow your boat, but I tow 100 miles round trip, for this reason I carry a spare HUB and bearings, this has saved me twice, once for my self, and another club member who lost his bearings on his 170 trailer, he was about 150 miles from home but we got him back on the road in about an hour. I think a spare hub and bearings cost me about $40.00, nice to have. I have a plastic tote box that I take with me when ever I tow, it contains everything I need to work on the trailer including, sml hydrolic jack, bearing grease, rags, wirring, bulbs, hub. this and my tool box are at the top of my check list. here is a good source dennis@sailing-obsession.com (Day Sailor Forum)of information on the 170 with several good post., go to "tack room" for the foam articles, if you need a drawing of the mast head, send me an e-mail and I will send it to you I got carried away here, sorry Glenn

T

TimHayes

Thanks, Glen.

Glen, Thanks for the info. I think I have the masthead image from the 170, but if you have it handy send it to maxxoom@hotmail.com. Once my mast is foamed my next project will be to add some guide bunks to the triler to assist with retreiving the boat. In your previous post you mentioned being fustrated by not getting the new boat in the water soon enough. It is true that I am dying to get out there. But, I made that mistake on my previous boat, a Hunter 23, and took it out on several days that were bad choices. It cost me my crew (Read: wife and kids.) They stopped going with me and that caused me to sell the boat. In short, I won't make that mistake again. I will wait for a better day.

Status
Not open for further replies.