New 22 Owner

Jan 30, 2022
Vandestat & McGruer Sirius 22 Canton
Hi Sailors! Cold in Ohio, gets down to about 0 deg f almost every night! I'm looking foreword to warmer weather this year. I'm a new owner of an '86 22. I am loving this boat before I have sailed it! It will need some work, but overall is in excellent condition. I need a lot: sails (with roller Genoa), rudder, stern rails, lifelines and stanchions. I'm looking for used if I can find it. I appreciate any help. Also I appreciate all the info on this site, I have learned a lot already. Thanks.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new sailboat!!

Do an internet search on "used......" and you will find used sails, stern rails, stanchions and lifeline stainless streel hardware. Might find used a used rudder on ebay. Lifelines will likely have to be new because you would not want to install someone's discarded corroded lifelines.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Hello. Welcome to the forum. Congrats on your new to you boat.
I see you have a lot of sailing experience. Is the Sirius 22 your first boat, owned?

overall is in excellent condition.
Except for "I need a lot:"
  1. sails (with roller Genoa),
  2. rudder,
  3. stern rails,
  4. lifelines
  5. and stanchions.
I am guessing here you feel the hull, possibly the deck and mast are "ok".

I would love to see a picture of this boat.

When you say "Sails" what exactly do your mean? Just a jib or a genoa? What about the main sail and or a spinnaker?

The Stern Pulpit (stern rails?) or do you mean the rail that runs on the deck providing a covering for the deck joint on the stern?

You may want to search the boat grave yards, in Texas, Louisiana, Florida, Georgia, or the Carolinas that are the place where damaged boats are left after the serious storms destroy marinas.

If you are on a tight budget and looking to make this boat a personal recovery project, then you will need to think outside the box. You may find all of which you seek. It just may not be from a Sirius boat. Look at boats with similar mast heights, and boat length.

Good luck

Jan 30, 2022
Thanks for all the replies, I really appreciate all the help. I will sail this boat mostly on inland lakes in Ohio. I may take it to lake Erie sometime in the future. This is not my first sail boat, I have owned many sailboats over the years, mostly catamarans, and have sailed a Pearson 303 on Lake Erie and the Gulf in Florida. I also have a Luger 30 that has never been built. Probably the last one!

I have found some of what I need. I'm still looking for stern rails. I'm having a rudder made, but I need help with some of the dimensions of a 22 rudder with the reverse transom. The dimension I really need is the draft (below the waterline) This would be very helpful. The other dimension I need is the vertical dimension of the space between the top of transom and the bottom of tiller. This boat has never been used it was sitting at the dealer all these years. Probably the reason so much is missing. Thanks for all your interest and help. And, it is still cold here 23F!

Jake

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
The good thing about a missing part is that you have the opportunity to fabricate a part that is better than the OEM. That is especially true for a rudder. The only limitation I see for the depth of the rudder is that it should be of less draft than the keel. But if it "Kicks up" the rules are different. In any case, you could design and build a high aspect ratio foil with proper shapes and have something better.
It's a bit of work but when that foil cuts into the water and your boat responds you'll be happy about the extra work.

Jan 30, 2022
Thanks for the rudder info. This rudder will be a kick up, how will the rules be different?
Thanks

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
how will the rules be different?
Rudders longer than the keel get stuck in the mud. Rudders unlike a keel are held in place by a small diameter shaft. A stuck rudder will bend or break at the shaft if stuck in the mud and a wake starts rocking the boat.

A rudder that kicks up tends not to get stuck in the mud.

Still I would keep any rudder design less than or equal to the depth of the keel. A rudder on a 22 ft boat really does not need to be longer than the keel. Too long and it is unnecessary drag.