Monoceros thru-hulls

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
The strut that the SBO Store has is the original style for our Cherubini boats.
For whatever reason, the PO didn't know where to source the original so
they built up a "mounting pad" and put yours on.
The through hull intake fitting for the raw water is mounted directly
to the shut off valve mounted somewhere adjacent to the engine room.
The hull fitting is screwed to the valve, so cutting it off is unnecessary UNLESS
the assembly is "frozen" which requires demolition to make way for a new assembly.
Try PB Blaster on the threads outside the valve AND inside the valve
over a couple of days. If that fails, try some heat with a hand torch.
Unless you plan on completely re-doing the interior, be very careful
with the wood furniture you have removed. The cabinet doors are teak and VERY expensive to replace and the veneer plywood panels are important to use as templates.
Try to be patient. You are doing the right thing by asking question.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2023
Hunter 37c Port of Madison
Thanks for the response. We are redoing all the interior. Plenty of it was rotten so we have been doing it piece by piece.

Jun 8, 2004
C&C Frigate 36 St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia
The strut that the SBO Store has is the original style for our Cherubini boats.
For whatever reason, the PO didn't know where to source the original so
they built up a "mounting pad" and put yours on.
Sorry ggrizzard, but that is incorrect. The strut shown in the YouTube is the original equipment that was fitted to the H37C. It was originally produced by Dahmer as part # H-34. It is now available from Miller's Island Propeller Inc.
Miller's Island Propeller | Underwater Hardware
The nuts that hold the strut on are accessible through the screw-out cover behind the hot water heater, aft of the engine. You will need to remove the strut to re-bed or replace it. Two person job - one inside, one out.

The through hulls were top quality Perko and they were originally fitted with gate valves. The thru hulls should be OK to re-use but there should be a proper seacock to replace the gate valves (if they are still there). You will need a thru hull step wrench or a suitably sized file or bar to insert in the thruhull to keep it from turning while someone unscrews the valve from the inside. Read up about thruhulls and seacocks at Maine Sail's excellent website: Seacocks, Strainers & Hose Clamps Archives - Marine How To . Please leave Rod a donation to help keep the site going.

@monoceresin: do your homework! There is a lot of information on the 1978 - 1985 Hunter 37 Cutter here in the archives on SBO. As well, member John Brecher (@Johnb) maintains the H37C database - if you haven't registered with him, you should.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2023
Great information Jim! I'm not sure if I need to replace the strut, I put a hairline Crack in it which probably means yes I should replace it. Just getting it removed has been a pain. The screws just turn without coming out. Another reason I need to rebed it?
That website resource is exactly what I needed right now, thank you so much!

Jun 8, 2004
Great information Jim! I'm not sure if I need to replace the strut, I put a hairline Crack in it which probably means yes I should replace it. Just getting it removed has been a pain. The screws just turn without coming out. Another reason I need to rebed it?
That website resource is exactly what I needed right now, thank you so much!
You need to get a wrench or socket on the nuts for the strut - it is bolted through the hull. If the strut is cracked it must be repaired or replaced. In theory it should be possible to weld/braze the bronze strut but, if it was me, I would replace it. And yes, it must be rebedded with someone holding the screws with a large screwdriver from the outside to prevent then from turning while the nuts are tightened from the inside. Use 3M 4200 or Sika 291. And the shaft has to be roughly aligned when installing the strut - i.e. centered in the stern tube with shims, wedges, etc.

Apr 10, 2023
large screwdriver from the outside to prevent then from turning while the nuts are tightened from the inside. Use 3M 4200 or Sika 291. And the shaft has to be roughly aligned when installing the strut - i.e. centered in the stern tube with shims, wedges, etc.
Where the bolts are on the inside of the boat is kindof under the muffler. The bolts were under a pile of black soil like substance. I think it was soot, which is not a good sign. Muffler currently only has 1 hose clamp on each side. Will remove, clean, and test for leaks, and then double the clamps there and everywhere else.

Apr 10, 2023
@monoceresin: do your homework! There is a lot of information on the 1978 - 1985 Hunter 37 Cutter here in the archives on SBO. As well, member John Brecher (@Johnb) maintains the H37C database - if you haven't registered with him, you should.
I have added our Hunter to the database.
I have read every bit of information here on SBO that I can find. I have the service manual for my yanmar. Can you point me in the direction of this "lots of information." I've been spending about an hour a day pouring myself over the wiring diagram and identifying every replacable part on my engine. Some of the links that people have commented here are old and no longer work. The current Facebook group has been helpful sofar.
I did send Millers Island Propeller an email, their website does not show parts prices or ordering options.

Thanks for all the support!

Attachments

Apr 10, 2023
I have added our Hunter to the database.
I have read every bit of information here on SBO that I can find. I have the service manual for my yanmar. Can you point me in the direction of this "lots of information." I've been spending about an hour a day pouring myself over the wiring diagram and identifying every replacable part on my engine. Some of the links that people have commented here are old and no longer work. The current Facebook group has been helpful sofar.
I did send Millers Island Propeller an email, their website does not show parts prices or ordering options.

Thanks for all the support!
Edit hereto say I saw your sticky thread and definitely some stuff there I have not looked through!

Jun 8, 2004
Not my sticky thread; Mathurin started it. Glad you found it. Plugging "H37C" into the Search bar at the top of the page yields 14 pages of results. "Hunter 37 Cutter" yields 15 pages, some of which are duplicates. Lots of rabbit holes to go down. And if you really can't find an answer, just ask here in The Cherubini Hunters subforum. Glad to hear there is some help over on Facebook too. I don't do FB but I suspect its harder to search on social media. Stick with it. You have a boat with good bones.

Jun 21, 2007
Hunter Cherubini 36_80-82 Sausalito / San Francisco Bay
1) Taking notice of this thread, I thought to link you to my posts about my strut replacement eight years ago. Contains my step-by-step including photos. Might assist with your current effort.

2) Also, this link is to another discussion --- specific to Cherubini 37's.

3) I just found the attached pdf on Miller Island's website. Looks like they still can supply the Dahmer struts.

Attachments