Merriman Pedestal Steering Shifter cable

Jun 24, 2020
Southcoast Seacraft 25 Middle River, MD
On my Pearson 33-2 Merriman pedestal, I have reverse but no forward therefore I know the cable isn't completely broken. Can anyone tell me if it is a linkage problem or what? Is there a place that sell replacement cables (Both throttle or shifter cables)? Anyone have any insight to fixing this problem?

Help is needed!

Greg in Maryland

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Figure out the cause of the problem. Get down to the transmission lever and manually shift the transmission by hand. If it engages forward and reverse then you know the transmission is OK and move on to the linkage. Have someone do the shifting from the pedestal while you observe the travel of the shifting arm. If the linkage is failing to move the arm enough to engage forward as it did by hand then figure out what is the obstruction. Is the clamp holding the cable cover sheath loose? Is the cable rusted and not sliding smoothly inside the sheath? Does the cable need any adjustment? The cable reacts different when sliding forward than when pulling back so it is not unusual that it may engage one gear but not the other. Sometimes in frozen cables the entire cover sheath and cable move or bend in unison. Cables are usually stocked by the engine manufacturers and they are sold by the length. Some may carry three different sizes and others only two to be use in boats of different lengths and or design. If you are going to replace the cables take them out and measure them. There are other companies that sell these cables and you can look for ones whose measurements compare to the ones you are replacing. Cables and sheaths may be sold separately but might as well replace both. Periodically lubricating the cables will extend their service life.

• Helpful
Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Also look at all cable hold-down brackets. If one is loose or broken, the entire cable may be moving rather than just the internal wire.

• Helpful
Jun 24, 2020
Southcoast Seacraft 25 Middle River, MD
Thank you gentlemen. I found the problem, the collar directly above the pedestal, an "ear" broke off. I need to buy a new collar.