Max prop for a Catalina 315

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I don’t have either …C315 or a MaxProp…..

but my boat neighbor was a Hunter 33 with a 3-cyl Yanmar. He runs a 3-blade MaxProp and loves it…
1) major power In reverse.
2) good power in FWD
3) decent speed under sail.
4) smooth motoring with the 3-blade version

He has to grease it annually, change a zinc as needed.

We are in fresh water and only have a 6-month season at best (he is probably in 4.5 or 5 months.

His neighbor has the same boat, but with a Gori 2-blade folding prop. He loves his because:
1) decent power FWD
2) Decent power in REV (but not nearly as powerful as the 3-blade Max Prop). Probably a combo of the #of blades, and better blade position with the MaxProp
3) he does not need to grease it (or anything he says).
4) He is the fastest under Sail (usually beats the guy with the Max Prop…sailing skills pretty even I th8nk.

He does have some vibration, attributable to the 2-blades we think).

I am researching options for my boat, an O’Day 322 with a Yanmar 2GM20F. Still not sure what I am going to purchase, but hope to order something this winter so I have it to install in the spring before I launch for the 2024 Season.

I like the Max Prop because the pitch is adjustable and has great power in REV. But I like that the folder has less drag.

Greg

Jan 15, 2022
Catalina 315 Brooklyn
I don’t have either …C315 or a MaxProp…..

but my boat neighbor was a Hunter 33 with a 3-cyl Yanmar. He runs a 3-blade MaxProp and loves it…
1) major power In reverse.
2) good power in FWD
3) decent speed under sail.
4) smooth motoring with the 3-blade version

He has to grease it annually, change a zinc as needed.

We are in fresh water and only have a 6-month season at best (he is probably in 4.5 or 5 months.

His neighbor has the same boat, but with a Gori 2-blade folding prop. He loves his because:
1) decent power FWD
2) Decent power in REV (but not nearly as powerful as the 3-blade Max Prop). Probably a combo of the #of blades, and better blade position with the MaxProp
3) he does not need to grease it (or anything he says).
4) He is the fastest under Sail (usually beats the guy with the Max Prop…sailing skills pretty even I th8nk.

He does have some vibration, attributable to the 2-blades we think).

I am researching options for my boat, an O’Day 322 with a Yanmar 2GM20F. Still not sure what I am going to purchase, but hope to order something this winter so I have it to install in the spring before I launch for the 2024 Season.

I like the Max Prop because the pitch is adjustable and has great power in REV. But I like that the folder has less drag.

Greg
Appreciate the info

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
Max prop experience on a Catalina 315
Not sure what you want to know. Mine is at least 20 years old on my Cat 320 with Yanmar 3GM30F engine. It seems to function very well. I have done the recommended annual greasing, but I have neglected to do it until the beginning of the next season. The recommendation is to grease it after haul-out to push any residual water out for the winter. Regardless, it seems to be fine.

It does have good power and control in reverse. In forward, the pitch doesn't seem to be enough for speed. My max speed is less than the theoretical hull speed (7.1 knots for my boat). I don't seem to find much more than 6.5 knots on a calm day with no current. The pitch is adjustable and I haven't changed it since buying the boat. Perhaps the previous owner set it up with less forward pitch on purpose, I don't know. I don't have any problem achieving max rpm for my Yanmar engine. I have no basis for comparison between the Max prop (feathering) and a fixed 3-blade prop so I can't tell you if it improves speed or not. It does feather, so I assume it is better under sail.

Hopefully, I'll have the prop pulled this winter ... the o-rings are visibly in bad condition and I want to re-condition the entire prop - and perhaps adjust the pitch if recommended by the service tech.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
We have a Max prop and have had no problems with it. Because of the flat blades the prop walk in reverse is a little stronger than most other props, takes a little getting used to. Annual maintenance is easy, get the grease kit from PYI. The grease runs about $20 a tube, however it will last a long time. I've had my prop apart 3 times and serviced it every years for 9 years and am just using up my first tube of grease. Do order up some extra set screws from McMaster Carr, they have a way disappearing between the time you remove it and the time to put back, especially problematic if the boat is stored on grass or gravel.

Folding and feathering props will improve boat speed by as much as a knot.

PYI Tech support is top notch. Follow their guidance on setting the pitch. They will need to know the boat model, the engine, the transmission and the transmission gear ratio. It is not difficult to reset the pitch if needed, just a bit messy.