Mast Halyard Stuck in Slot

Oct 17, 2013
Catalina 22 Plymouth MA
Hi All

I have a Bayliner Buccaner 180 with new sails and a new main halyard. The halyard gets stuck in the mast slot about 6 inches from the internal sheave. Short of stepping the mast and using an external block instead of the sheave, any suggestions? Thanks.

Mike
Plymouth MA

Aug 2, 2005
Pearson 33-2 & Typhoon 18 Seneca Lake
If the halyard has a spliced loop at the end the thickness of the splice may be too big to pass into the internal sheave or whatever opening is there for it. Try reversing the ends of the halyard so you can tie a short bowline onto the clip you are using to attach the head of your sail. OR.... Cut off that splice and tie the bowline at that end. By doing that you will save the effort of turning the halyard end for end with the potential for loosing an end, but I can understand any reluctance in cutting a new line.

Oct 17, 2013
Catalina 22 Plymouth MA
Thanks, but I already have a bowline attached to the shackle. The halyard gets caught in the entire length of the groove but I can pull all out except the last six inches or so - just enough to put a bag in my new sails at the clew!