Mast Gate for a 27

shank

Apr 20, 2016
Catalina 27 5231 Lake Champlain
Hi,

I have an 1982 Catalina 27 and wanted to see if anyone has experience with the mast gate sold at Catalina Direct ? I see mastgates.com has one that slides into the slot of the mast instead of covering part of the outside of it. Maybe there are better options?

Thanks

Oct 13, 2020
catalina C-22 4980 channel islands CA
I have a Catalina Direct mastgate on my C22 it works great, I am very happy with it.
Dano

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Hi,

I have an 1982 Catalina 27 and wanted to see if anyone has experience with the mast gate sold at Catalina Direct ? I see mastgates.com has one that slides into the slot of the mast instead of covering part of the outside of it. Maybe there are better options?

Thanks
I use the smaller one pictured on the same page, but in lower picture.. Only need the one because gate is one sided. Not sure I could justify $50+ for two strips of metal and some screws. Seems easy enough to fab one on your own.
What you want to have on hand are extra proper size screws, especially if you remove the gate regularly they are certainly easy to lose or drop. I wouldn't get a mast gate that fits inside the slot.. that's more like a "sail stop",, it won't let the slides go down to the gooseneck. You want that so you can reef more easily. If , for some reason you want to limit the movement to any thing in the track, then tap a small screw directly into the track. Underneath the gooseneck I have a pad eye locked in to the slot to anchor the control line for the rigid vang, and another line for the cunning ham. Haven't had any issues with in these past 20 years. Good luck.