Main Sheet Swivel/Block/ cleat- 1981 Sirius 21

SailSK

Jan 17, 2023
Sirius 21 RBYC
After many years of service the springs on the mainsheet cleat expired. Can new springs for this Schaefer system be available to replace? Has anyone replaced to total assembly? On my inspection it appears that the unit is be beyond my expertise to remove from topside. Advice for this issue would be very much appreciated. Thanks!

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Why not post a picture of the subject hardware to widen the response pool. There's no reason you can't substitute something similar if you can't match it exactly. Many, many boat owners modify their boats to suit their preferences or to update old designs.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Did you throw the springs away? Did you try cleaning and lubricating with light weight oil (3 in 1 for instance). The problem is that type of Shaeffer aluminum cleat is very expensive and it may not even fit. Here's the link to Shaeffer. Look for "cam cleats" you'll see what I mean. The fitment clue is the space between the posts, or spacers. Also called centers. Your pic shows 1 5/8" which is 43 mm. Notice the only one that's clase is the big ass cleat for $153. If you can contact Shaeffer or a good chandlery that sells the stuff. Theiy might give you a source for replacement springs.... or you can take the spring to a hardware store and look in the specialty parts drawers for a match.

Since the stand up block's sheave (the white pulley) is looking frayed you could replace that also... but honestly you might do better replacing the whole damn assembly. Those type of mainsheet swivel blocks are very common on dinghies. You might have to get creative with the swivel arm's angle... be patient. Here's some sources for swiveling cam cleat bases. Allen has best selection, Ronstan best prices, btw, and remember you can raise the level of the mounting base if the swivel arm has clearance problems. Good luck

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Garhauer Marine makes the pieces which you can combine to build the Mainsheet tackle you desire. It will work as good as a one piece unit but be less expensive and changeable

This is the cam-cleat unit. You have to add the spring and swivel block (a separate piece) as shown. When combined it functions as a single unit. This gives you options on the size of the block you desire.

Swivel Jam with Deck Mount MS-SJ (block not included)
$88.83
1674129777673.jpeg

You can also check out the gear in the SBO shop.

tonyr

Sep 10, 2009
McGruer & Vandestadt Sirius 21 465 Kawarthas
Hi SailSK

At end of last season I had this same problem and I fixed the broken spring. I found a spring with same diameter, same gauge of wire, and same wire rotation, but the spring was longer than the broken one. Then I guessed at a length and cut it. To match the spring ends I took my time to bend and shape the spring wire. I took my time using vice grips, slowly tapping with hammer, etc. My first attempt was a mess. But I learned and the 2nd one worked perfect. Sorry that I don't have any pictures. Maybe you have already decided to replace your Schaefer part. I just wanted to let you know that it is possible to fix if that's an option for you. Good luck to you and fair sailing come spring.

Best regards

Tony R
Sirius 21, #465, ynotsail

SailSK

Jan 17, 2023
Sirius 21 RBYC
Hi Tony, Thanks for the info. You appear to be a resourceful person. I also always try to fix my old possessions. I think I will attempt your fix process as I have one of the old springs to use as a reference. Hey, our boats were very close in the production line. My boat is #467. One of the best investments in my lifetime. Fair sailing to you as well.
Thanks again,
Bill