Lowering mast before expected storm?

Jun 8, 2023
Catalina 22 Brooklyn
Anyone have advice on -if I have the time-, should I lower the mast and keep keel down before a storm? My thinking is it would keep the center of gravity lower and help from capsizing. Not sure if it’s really necessary… Generally, I keep my 22 on the water but Michigan lakes weather can be a handful sometimes and I always get nervous. I don’t mind stepping the mast as it’s pretty easy on my little boat. Just trying to be overly cautious is all!

JBP-PA

Apr 29, 2022
Jeanneau Tonic 23 Erie, PA
In general, unless it's hurricane or severe gale force winds, you shouldn't have to. That said, my friend's Hunter 22 mast broke in a microburst, but it had a masthead rig with only one set of lower shrouds which allows the mast to pump under certain conditions.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
I'm assuming the boat is at anchor, not in a slip?

Either way, I would give no thought to the mast. Something else will break long before your mast becomes the problem.

I would look to my ground tackle, cleat reinforcements, and chafing gear first. Then maybe an automatic bilge pump. :thumbup:

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
If you have roller furling, make certain the sheet has multiple wraps around the sail and the sheets are well secured on cleats, or better yet, tie a sail tie around the furled sail. If the sail is not wrapped securely, wind can unwrap and shred the sail.

A much bigger risk than the mast is the mooring. It needs to be large enough and set well enough to withstand both the wave and wind action during a storm. When was the last time the chain was inspected?

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
I'm the kind of person that would remove the sails and take them home for storage. One less thing in the worry box. Canvas biminis and dodgers are also susceptible to super nasthy weather. Do you have solar panels? Dismount them and stow in cabin.... that kind of thing would be my concern...I'm not that concerned about the mast unless you have issues with faulty rigging, in which case a refit would be on your to do list, storm or not.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
If leaving the boat moored or slipped with potentially high wind arriving, I remove the headsail. Strap the mainsail to the boom with ties under a sail cover and even around the outside of it. The boom is secured so it cannot rock (oscillate) side to side. Tiller/wheel is locked/fixed. But if yours is easy to step, then might as well, suppose. Or just remove the boom and mainsail and leave the mast up.

Oct 29, 2012
Catalina 30 TRBS MkII Milwaukee
I'm assuming the boat is at anchor, not in a slip?

Either way, I would give no thought to the mast. Something else will break long before your mast becomes the problem.

I would look to my ground tackle, cleat reinforcements, and chafing gear first. Then maybe an automatic bilge pump. :thumbup:
How many other sailboats unstep the mast before a storm?
As suggested, if you have a roller furler just make sure to secure the sail so the wind doesn't work on it and destroy it
Never heard of being demasted on the Great Lakes in a storm while in harbor. But occasionally someone leaves the sheets loose and somehow the wind was able to unfurl the sail and tear it up badly

Tedd

Jul 25, 2013
TES 246 Versus near Vancouver, BC
I don't have any experience with a Catalina 22 but, with my boat, the mast is quite vulnerable when it's in the down position. Even though the boat has a built-in system designed to lower the mast for going under bridges, allowing the boat to be rigged or de-rigged on the water, I'm cautious about using it unless the water is relatively calm, in case the mast's own inertia damages it when banging around.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
If in a protected harbor make sure you're dock lines and cleats (dock and bow cleats) are up to par as well as your fenders. My marina leaves abandoned boats in the water during the winter months. It's tough on them but they do survive. Can you tell us a bit about your mooring?