Liability coverage

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mike Kinney

Al: Welcome aboard! I think the liability coverage is the most confusing part of understanding an insurance policy. Could you kindly explain the following: 1. What part of my liability coverage protects me from acts that cause injuries to people on my boat. 2. What part of my liability coverage protects me from acts that cause injuries to people on other boats. 3. What part of my liability coverage protects me from acts that cause harm to property of others on my boat. 4. What part of my liability coverage protects me from acts that cause harm to property of others not on my boat. Thanks for your help.

A

Al Golden

Proper marine policies have a form of liability coverage known as Protection & Indemnity (commonly shortened to P&I). It's an extremely broad form of liability protection which covers not only all of the items you mentioned, but also liabilities which are peculiar to maritime law in which there has been no bodily injury nor definable property damage. The perfect example is wreck removal. Some years ago we had a newly insured boat impale herself on the rip-rap surrounding Sharkfin Shoal Light in the Chesapeake. The carrier paid about $30,000 for the loss of the boat, but then had to pay an additional $17,000 to remove the wreckage from the CG's rip-rap. That involved a crane, a barge and a couple of divers, and a lot of time. In another case the company paid to have the wreck dynamited on a beach in Central America. Pollution liability is another form that should be covered, but lately some carriers have been getting very.... inventive in the way they handle it. Boat/US (maybe the greatest marketer of all time) a few years ago eliminated pollution liability from their P&I section. Then they put an extremely limited coverage back in (it doesn't cover bodily injury) called "Fuel Spill Liability" in a separate section and trumpeted it as a "new coverage". Al IMIS

M

MARCIE ROBSON

INSURANCE IS CHEAP......

... COMPARED TO WHAT ITLL COST YOU IF YOU OR SOMEONE UNINSURED OR UNDERINSURED MESSES UP .... GO WITH A REPUTABLE COMPANY HOMEOWNERS INS CO. WILL USUALLY OFFER BOATERS, AND MY CARRIER HAD BETTER COVERAGE FOR LESS THAN A MARINE CO MENTIONED ELSEWHERE IN THIS SITE ... THE BEST TO ASK ABOUT SPECIFICS, ASK YOUR AGENT IF THEY CANT TELL YOU GO ELSEWHERE BECAUSE IF THERE IS A CLAIM IT USUALLY INVOLVES THEM AT SOME POINT. MY AGENT DIDNT KNOW SOMTHING AND HE ASKED THE MAIN OFFICE AND GOT RIGHT BACK WITH ME ... AS FAR AS HOW MUCH , SOMEONE MENTIONED WRECKAGE AND POLLUTION AND OF COURSE REPLACEMENT BUT WHAT ABOUT IF SOMEONE SUES AND TRUST ME FROM EXPERIENCE .... PEOPLE TRY TO SUE EVEN IF THEYRE NOT HURT ....ASK ME HOW IT TURNS OUT..HA HA HA... MY HUSBAND WAS UNDRINSURED ON THE PROPERTY DAMAGE( THINK ABOUT THE MOST EXPENSIVE BOAT AND THEN TRY TO PAY FOR IT AND YOURS AND THEN RECOVERY) AND ALSO LIABILITY. WHEN WE FIGURE FOR ADEQUATE COVERAGE, IT WOULD HAVE BEEN 2$ MORE A MONTH ....WE DIDNT DO THIS INTENTIONALLY WHEN HE TOOK OUT THE POLICY IT SOUNDED GOOD TO HIM AND HIS AGENT DIDNT TELL HIM HE WAS UNDERINSURED (MOST CARS COST OVER 10,000 KNOW WHAT I MEAN??) ANYWAY ID CERTAINLY HATE TO SEE ANYONE ELSE GO THROUGH THIS ..... MY BEST ADVICE IS TO CHECK AROUND GO WITH THE AVERAGE ON COST AND COMPARE APPLES TO APPLES...NOWDAYS IT SEEMS INSURANCE IS MORE ABOUT PROTECTING YOUR SELF FROM OTHERS.....LOST OF LUCK

M

MARCIE ROBSON

INSURANCE IS CHEAP...AGAIN

I READ ALS ARTICLE AND BRINGS UP EVEN MORE THAN I COULD THINK OF AND WILL GO TO MY AGENT WITH THEM ... I HAVE A NEW POLICY AND DONT HAVE IT ON PAPER YET... AS FAR AS THE OTHER MARINE INSURANCE I DONT THINK IT WAS ALS THAT I CONTACTED THE ONE I CALLED SOMEINE HAD MENTIONED IN ANOTHER REPLY SOME TIME BACK... FOLLOW ALS ADVICE HE PUT IT BETTER THAN I COULD...OF COURSE HE SHOULD KNOW HES IN THE BUISNESS.... YOUR NOT MARRIED TO YOUR INS CARRIER BUT MAKE SURE YOU ARE SET IN WITH THE NEW CARRIER BEFORE YOU DROP THE OLD....YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT CAN HAPPEN..... PS IF YOU HAVENT READ ALS REPLY... INS YUCK...YOU NEED TO ...AND HES PRETTY FUNNY TOO.....

P

Peggie Hall/Head Mistress

PLEASE! Turn off your caps locks!

Typing in all caps is the online equivilant of SHOUTING...and it's also very hard to read!

M

Marcie Robson

Im sorry for yelling....

I dont have time to spend online and I am unaware of the unspoken ettiquette.... Is difficult for me to type and it makes it easier to use all caps rather than the frustration of using correct punctuation....i have to say your way of addressing my ignorance was like a slap in the face....people reply here to share their opinions in front of everyone which may make some feel insecure.... I would not have responded earlier, but after what i have gone through with car insurance I dont want anyone else to be subject to the greedyness of others......also Peggy if this wasnt the only hunter site that I am aware of .. I would not come back,, but I am a new(used) boat owner and need all the help I can get....so you will see me again ... yelling or not...

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
Always welcome here, Marcie

One of the downsides of electronic (written) communication is, intended tone can be difficult to convey. Please be assured that your participation is appreciated (in all caps or not), and also know that Peggie is a wonderful forum moderator and a very nice person. I'm quite sure she didn't intend her reply in a negative spirit. You'll find that the folks who use this site are, by and large, very welcoming and friendly people. I do hope you'll stick around prove me right! ph.

P

Peggie Hall/Head Mistress

Sorry Marcie...

'Twasn't intended to be negative or critical, just instructive....and yours wasn't the only post in all caps. If it makes you feel any better, I had to be told to turn my caps lock off when I first entered cyber-space too. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.