Is the mast on a 1978 Cape Dory 25 slotted or through bolted to the deck plate?

Dec 2, 2023
CApe Dory 25 Jacksonville
I recently purchased a 1978 Cape Dory 25 and during the previous owners last final haul out some damage occurred at the base of the mast. The aluminum is pretty chewed up and there is a minor tear on one side but my first order of business is to determine if this mast was already slotted or if the damage cause is far greater because he ripped it clean off. If anyone has pictures of there CD 25 mast or have insight into this I'd be appreciative.

Second step, pending the mast isn't shot, would be to address the minor tear by drilling a small hole at the end of the tear to stop it from continuing upward, cleaning up the aluminum and then filling it with a marine epoxy. Any input on this planned repair would be helpful as well.

Attachments

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Your image of the mast base is nice. Would like to see an image of the decal where the mast sets. That way we can better answer the query you ask.

Deck stepped masts have many different methods of attachment. On my current boat the mast sits on a deck plate. The rigging holds the mast in place. This is not unusual.

On my smaller boat the mast was held in place by a tabernacle.
Tabernacle
A metal or wooden structure, in the shape of an open box, which locates and supports a deck-stepped mast. A bolt passing through tabernacle and mast can provide a pivot point for lowering the stick. Although the tabernacle supports the downward thrust of the mast it should not suffer any of the wrenching or side loads, which are taken by Shrouds and Stays.

Dec 2, 2023
I'll be back at the boat in a few days and Ill be sure to take some good photos of where it sits. Thanks for the suggestion!

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I found this photo of a Cape Dory 25 mast base on the line....

1701552755592.png
1701552902634.png

It looks to me like there is supposed to be a foot that fits in the base of the mast and that foot hinges on the deck plate. The busted out holes on you mast are probably where I put the red arrows. If you still have the mast foot, you might be able to rivet it back in ... And if the existing sail does not go all the way to the top of the mast, you could hack saw off the half inch off of the end of the mast... drill in new holes and get the foot sitting properly. BUT you will need to get the half inch back so that your stays are the right height. I've done this before on my H26. I took a half inch piece of HDPE (Starboard) and placed it under the deck plate and then set all of that on top of the spacer.

A little google-fu showed this to be your mast and it looks like you can still get parts...

jssailem

Oct 22, 2014
There are two common tabernacles used on smaller deck stepped mast. The one shown by @rgranger. It is a good upgrade. The base attaches to the deck. The upper attachment is to the mast. The forward or the stern has a bolt that serves as a hinge to facilitate the raising/lowering of the mast.
The other has two sides to the base. They often had a bolt that runs through the sides and the mast.

Here are a couple designs.
IMG_5123.jpeg IMG_5122.jpeg

IMG_5120.jpeg IMG_5119.png

Dec 2, 2023
Hope these pictures illustrate my question a bit better. I cannot find any images online that show the base of the mast clear enough to determine if that thread rod is encapsulated by the mast or just slotted over to help it from sliding around.

Attachments

May 29, 2018
Canel 25 foot Shiogama, japan
Hi ekmar
RE: pending the mast isn't shot, would be to address the minor tear by drilling a small hole at the end of the tear to stop it from continuing upward, cleaning up the aluminum and then filling it with a marine epoxy. Any input on this planned repair would be helpful as well.
The new photos clarify the situation/ problem.
1701730620022.jpeg
1701730656492.jpeg

The mast should slide down tight and then be through bolted solidly to the foot.
This allows it to pivot on the tabernacle and be lowered.
You have serious corrosion around the bolthole , which is not a hole any more.
Also as noted you have a crack leading up from the base.

Your drill and epoxy fix is not really an option as it does not solve the corroded hole problem.
With that much slack in the mounting base your mast can twist on the base, enlarge the throat of the mast and slip out. Disaster!
I wonder about corrosion at other parts of the mast (masthead fittings, sheaves, crosstree/spreader fittings.)

I can see two options.
1. A replacement used mast.
Sailors Exchange | New & Used Boating Equipment

2. A sleeve fitted around the base of the mast to rebuild it.
This is usually made up of a section of a larger dia mast that is trimmed to fit and riveted on.
Can be done with basic tools but usually a job done by a professional rigger.

Sorry that it not really good news, but that is the way I see it.

gary

• Helpful

jssailem

Oct 22, 2014
2. A sleeve fitted around the base of the mast to rebuild it.
This is usually made up of a section of a larger dia mast that is trimmed to fit and riveted on.
Can be done with basic tools but usually a job done by a professional rigger.
:plus:

That would be the solution I would seek, if on a limited budget and plans to sail beyond the bay's breakwater. I would go with a couple of feet for the sleeve. More like knee socks then ankle socks.

There is nothing like a new mast if you plan on sailing out into the Caribbean on open waters.