Info needed on LARGE Boats / Research Vessels (100ft+)

Jul 27, 2023
Discovery 32 Brownsville Marina
Hey there! I work for a company that helps secure funding and acquire resources for Alaskan tribes.

We are looking at what the general cost would be for a research vessel. I've been researching this for a bit and thought that this forum would be a good place to ask for advice.

We are looking for a 105 ft vessel to use as a research vessel to investigate algal blooms in the North Pacific. We can renovate a boat for this purpose so it does not need to be a research vessel, just one that could become a research vessel later on.

If anybody has information / resources regarding estimating the cost of a vessel of this sort in Alaska, it would be greatly appreciated.

Looking forward to the responses, and happy sailing!

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2003
Hunter 260 winnipeg, Manitoba
I don’t think you’ve provided anywhere near enough information for anyone here to provide anything other than the most general information.
You really need to get a handle on requirements you need this vessel to fulfill.
Is it for near shore in fine weather conditions or are you looking far off shore in the early spring/late summer when you might have to deal with more extreme weather.
Why 105’?

how many crew? How many researchers? How far do you need to go and how quickly? How often?
I would say the researchers, research methodology,objectives, data collection methods, duration etc etc etc all need to be determined before what type of ship and its cost could be rationally examined.
A 100’ camp barge might serve one use. A crab boat another, a large fibreglass sailing yacht a completely different one.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
You are getting into the realm of commercial boats, not recreational boats. With that there are USCG requirements for construction and operation including how the vessel is crewed.

A commercial fishing boat from the PWN is likely the best candidate for your purposes.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
I've been researching this for a bit and thought that this forum would be a good place to ask for advice.
Unfortunately, this is probably the least appropriate group for your research. This group is predominantly consists of recreational sailors, the majory of which own what's considered production level sailboats.